Chapter 9 🎄⛄

A low panting made itself heard to her sharp ears, making her stop in her tracks. In her hand, there was a plastic bag containing her makeshift food for this evening, sandwiches. She paused. A faint smell of blood drifted to her nose. A clear sound of pained grunts clearly made themselves heard in her ears. Looking around, nobody could be seen in the dim-lighted street. She was alone with a stranger that was clearly injured.

Just a glance, she promised herself, she wouldn't intervene, she told herself. So she took light steps toward the source of the noise. Only to stop as she stumbled upon a bleeding teenager with a half-teared badly made red and blue disguisement.

She wanted to turn back and turn a blind eye to the young man.

"Ms... Cano?" he muttered with pain, struggling to look up at the shadowed woman half-turned away.

Sarah clenched her fist and images of her discussions with the young hero flashed through her mind. A tiny female voice she hadn't heard in a while whispered in her head, "He is too young to bear this burden alone." She shook her head, of course, her sister would want her to help her beloved hero.

It was unknown what convinced her to help the hero but she finally gave in and bent down to her student's lying figure. "You're in quite the state, Peter."

Peter smiled awkwardly but didn't say anything. He couldn't muster the courage to ask for her help, nor did he want to drag her into his problems but he didn't want to push her away either, he felt a strange sense of serenity with her around, like he was safe and nothing could hurt him anymore. The teenager in himself desperately clung to this warmth despite knowing the dangers of the situation. People were still pursuing him.

"Can you walk?" She asked after analyzing his wounds-bruised arms, probably a few broken bones, a gushing wound on his stomach and a bullet wound in his left leg.

Peter tried to push himself up but failed miserably and he could only send his teacher a sheepish smile, "I'm sorry." He was thankful she didn't ask anything, his brain wasn't ready to try and lie his way out of the situation-he could hardly even fathom what kind of lie could worm him out of the fact that he was that badly injured.

"Staying here will do you more harm than good, I suppose going to your home would be bad too," seeing him nod fervently she continued, "The hospital would be too troublesome." He winced at the idea. "To my home, it is then."

He kept silent while watching his teacher arrange the plastic bag on her arm before tearing apart her jean jacket. In less time than any normal teacher would, she bandaged his bleeding wounds to compress the blood. He couldn't help but groan at the sudden movements.

He felt strange, watching his teacher get dirt and blood on both her skin and clothes without a single change on her face, she was calm throughout the whole situation, far too calm, as if used to it. He could only keep his thoughts to himself, he wasn't in any position to ask about that, he had his own fair share of secrets.

"Get on my back," she said as she crouched. Though he hesitated, Peter finally gave in and climbed on her back, not without fearing she would buckle over at his weight. His worries were for naught as he saw her lift him easily and start walking normally as if she wasn't carrying a grown teenager on her back.

The unusual proximity to his teacher felt weird to the teenager but seeing how calm Sarah remained soon made him forget that fact. Despite himself, he felt the refined muscles of the teacher carrying him. That only added a thousand questions to his mind, he could only guess she often went to the gym.

Meanwhile, Sarah was more preoccupied with avoiding all the eyes watching while she weaved through the dark streets to go to her apartment, the last thing she wanted was to get caught carrying a bleeding teenager on her back.

She had never cursed her stairs more than when she had to carry a person on her back while climbing them. Even she had to take a short break at the top of her stairs before continuing.

"That-" Peter gasped as he saw the state of her apartment. She had totally forgotten that her living space was currently in shambles.

"I know," she answered with a deadpan voice before making Peter seat. In front of empty space since she didn't have a dining table anymore. "Don't move."

She walked through the wreckage to her bathroom. After pushing a tile, she grabbed her medicine bag.

"Now, don't make too much noise," she mumbled as she made him lie down after pushing away the mess. Then started the most arduous hour for Peter who had to completely trust his math teacher with his body, he didn't know where that trust came from, but it was the only thing stopping him from moving as he saw her tweezers plunge in his leg to pull out the bullet. Soon after, he had to muffle a scream in his arm as she poured some sort of liquid on his wounds. Let's just say that it was a unique experience that totally changed his view of his math teacher-not that watching her emotionless face as she operated on his body traumatized him but let's just say he would be more careful about getting injured in the future.

Soon the pain dissipated and he couldn't feel his body anymore. That feeling or lack thereof lasted a good dozen minutes.

"I've made sure it won't infect and I got rid of the bullet, now all you have to do is not move too much in the following weeks."

"Thank you," he managed to whisper.

Sarah blankly nodded before stretching, staying bent over started to hurt her back. She needed a bath and some music. One of which she couldn't have right now so instead she turned on the radio and started unwrapping her sandwich. A hungry growl made itself heard and when she turned to the lying teenager, she could see the tip of his ears redden. "Hungry?" He nodded so she unwrapped another sandwich and gave it to him. They ate in silence, with soft music as the background noise.

__________________________

MERRY CHRISTMAS ! (in advance for some)

PS : I wrote an end of year note and published it under the name "2020 - Thank You" in my fanfic "Lonely Flower (One Piece)" check that out if you want to