16. "Dumb mate thing"

Ariana Grande - Thank You, Next

"How do I get on it?" I ask Caiden as I look up at the white horse standing in front of me.

"I thought you like horses," he says, confused.

"I do," I say honestly, "but I've never been on one or seen one in person"

He showed me how to get on the horse, but I was still uncertain, so he had to assist me, I'm not afraid of heights, but being on this thing made me feel a little anxious and frightened.

"Caiden, maybe this was a bad idea, when you said you did horse riding, I was hoping to watch you or just pet the horse" I say, petrified of the horse's desire to move.

He climbs on his horse and waves it off, saying, "You'll be fine."

He advises me what to do, and I follow his instructions; after a few minutes, I've get the hang of it so we ride through the woods and cross the east border until we reach a large field where the grass is lush, and a few daisies are blooming near the entrance "Is this where you ride?" I ask

"Yeah, this is where I ride, no one comes out here," he states as he looks ahead.

"It's peaceful," I murmur, taking in the scene in front of me.

This is a moment and a sensation I'll never forget as we move across the open field, the breeze brushing against my face and through my hair, the feeling of freedom and not caring about anything, my worries, my fears, and my doubts, flying with the wind. I love this, and I savor the moment because I know the feeling of freedom will never last, particularly given the situation in which I find myself.

Dad would've loved this, he always spoke about horses and how much he loved them.

After a few hours, Caiden and I are back in the pack borders, we take the horses to the stables "Thank you, Cade, I really needed this" I thank him, I want to go in for a hug, but I choose not to.

"You're welcome" he smiles.

Suddenly, a surge of heat hits me, my vision begins to blur, and my legs begin to give up, my hearing starts to fade "Farren" Before everything goes dark, the last thing I see is Caiden with a troubled expression.

My eyes flutter open, and I'm in a familiar room "Farren, you're awake," a familiar voice says. I look around in panic, but I calm down when I see her.

She was the one who advised me not to give up on Caelum.

She's dressed in a yellow summer dress with waves in her hair and a cup of -what I assume is- tea in her hand, completing her peaceful look with a warm smile on her face.

"How did I end up here?" I question.

"Look, Farren. I realize you're having a hard time" She smiles sympathetically at me, and I return her smile with a puzzled expression "What are you talking about?"

"You ran away" I gently close my eyes and take a deep breath "I don't want to talk about him"

"But that's why I brought you here. There's something I have to show you"

I remain still and look at my hands.

She extends her hand "Come with me, I want you to see something" I slowly accept her hand in mine and follow her into the living room, she releases my hand and pours water into a teacup; she then pulls out a glass bottle containing a green liquid and pours it into the cup before handing it to me "Here, drink this"

I eye the cup suspiciously "What is it?"

She instructs, "Just drink it"

I take a small drink from the cup, it doesn't taste bad; it has an apple and minty flavor "Drink all" I finish the liquid in the cup.