29 - Tutor

Alison
***

When I arrived at the café, I checked my messages. Louise told me she's be wearing a blue dress so I could identify her. After scanning the tables, I found a woman that fit that description. I approached the table shyly, afraid I was greeting the wrong person.

"You must be Alison." She said in French. She gave me two kisses on the cheek, something I almost never did anymore.

She turned to her young son and instructed him to say hi.

"Hi, I'm Oliver." He said in English.

"Hello, I'm Alison, nice to meet you." I replied. I extended my hand to the little boy, bending my knees. He shook my hand shyly, his honey-colored fringe falling over his eyes.

"Oliver, please speak French." Louise said to him while inviting me to sit at the table. Then she turned to me. "As you can see, unless he's asked to, he won't speak French voluntarily."

I gave Oliver a sneaky look, wanting to win him over. For a ten year old kid, he looked a bit small and timid. I knew that if I wanted to be successful in my tutoring, I'd had to make him open up.

"Tu peux me parler en français Oliver, on est amis." I winked. He hid his face but smiled. ("You can speak french with me Oliver, we're friends.")

"D'accord." He said in a cute voice. Louise seemed pleased with her son's interaction. ("Okay.")

Over large coffees, Louise and I talked for about an hour. The conversation went incredibly smoothly. She told me all about her and her husband, Lucas, and that they were expecting another child. She really needed someone to practice french with Oliver in an informal, fun way since she'd be super busy in the upcoming months.

She asked me about my Masters, genuinely interested in my artistry. She praised me for following my passion.

"It can sometimes be a lot of work," I commented. "But it's definitely not as study intensive as other fields. I find myself with quite some spare time, especially during the afternoons since I only have lessons in the morning."

Louise brought her hands to her chin, pensive.

"Let me make you an offer then." She said, placing her hands on the table. "Depending on your availability, would you also be willing to babysit him on special occasions? We'd pay you for your tutoring and the extra hours you'd spend with him. And before you ask, of course you can take your work to our place. Wouldn't want to get in the way of your assignments. How does that sound?"

That sounded incredible. Getting paid to spend time with a little kid while also doing work for Uni?

"I really like you Alison, you seem like an ambitious young woman who is just starting out her life." Louise added before I could give her an answer. "Oliver likes you too!"

We shook hands on the spot after agreeing on the amount she'd pay me, which was considerable. I was expected to tutor and look after Oliver on Tuesdays and Thursdays, as well as Saturdays. That meant that I had every day of the week occupied with the exception of Sunday.

When saying goodbye, Louise nudged Oliver to give me a hug. I bent down, his small arms wrapping around my back. He was so sweet, like a little angel.

When I left the café I texted Chris to tell him the good news.

ALISON: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that I got the job, the bad news is that I'll only be seeing you on Sundays.