71 - Anger

Gary
***

I had only seen Chris lose his temper a couple of time, but it always frightened me when he did. I knew he could be aggressive and get angry when a situation tipped him over the edge, but what happened in his office made my bones rattle.

After Alison left we were silent. I had amazing news to tell him about my new exhibition and wanted to surprise him, but after his student ran out of his office in tears, celebrating was the last thing on my mind.

I asked Chris to explain what had happened. He told me Ali just kissed him out of the blue in the moment I walked in. He also told me he only registered that I was in the room once Ali looked up at me and her eyes widened.

"You didn't have to be so aggressive," I said to him in a low voice. I didn't want to infuriate him more. "She made a mistake, read the signals wrong. You can't blame her, you've been so nice to her."

"Nonsense," he cut me off. "What signals? I never gave her any indication that I wanted anything with her. That's wildly inappropriate of you to say, Kent."

"Sorry, but you know I'm right," I refuted, worried that I'd make him madder. "Remember when we fought in my studio about how I was treating her? Remember when I warned you about her swooning over you after you defended her?"

He shook his head, folding his arms. "So you're saying that because I did the right thing she now has a crush on me?"

"Yeah. I am. But imagine a completely different situation: even if you had never spoken to her, she could have liked you anyway. Women are complex creatures, we can't possibly understand then, but for me it's pretty clear. You didn't make her like you on purpose, that's obvious, but she fell for you anyway."

Chris was silent, taking his hand to his forehead, shaking his head in disbelief.

"Don't punish her too harshly. She's a brilliant student, you and I both know that. I don't think she deserves to go down on something like this."

Chris took a deep breath. "I see your point... I just freaked out. But anyway, why are you here?"

The mood was completely off to tell him the true reason why. "Oh, I was just passing by and decided to come see you. I have to go now, have some work I need to do."

Chris was no longer paying attention to me. He was busy scrolling through his phone, biting his lip and tapping his foot frantically, a nervous tic of his. I decided to leave him alone with his thoughts. There was nothing more I could say or do to ease his mind, I'd maybe even do worse knowing my big mouth.

I was still very worried about him though. Seeing him explode like that brought back very unpleasant memories and I knew I had to tell someone.

My feet made the decision for me before I realized where I was heading. I walked down the corridors of my old university until I reached the art rooms, or the dungeons and I used to call them. I opened the door of the first room, looking for Professor Agnes. I tried a few more doors until I found her.

She must have known something was wrong by the look on my face. She excused herself from the group of students she was speaking to and approached me.

"Gary, what are you doing here? Is everything okay?" She asked in her sweet voice. She was always so nice.

"More or less. Can I speak to you outside?"