72 - Reconciliation

This chapter is dedicated to PalakChalke15, winner of the 20k giveaway!

Alison
***

I woke up at eight in the morning to the sound of my alarm clock. I slammed my hand on my phone to snooze it. I covered my head with the covers, not wanting to face reality. When the alarm went off again, I knew I had to get up or I'd be late to class.

I walked to the kitchen, the muscles in my face stiff from falling asleep crying. When I looked in the mirror I saw that my eyes were puffy. I ran cold water in the tap and rinsed my face, stripping it of all moisture. I glanced at my make-up, but I had no energy to put it on.

All I wanted was to go back to bed and pretend nothing had happened. When I was asleep time stopped, or rather, I was taken out of reality. When sadness hit me hard, sleep was the only medicine, a temporary solution.

I walked back to my room and stared at my closet to pick what to wear. I pulled out the first thing I saw, not having any energy to put an effort. I laid my clothes on the bed and stared at them, knowing that after I put them on I had to officially face the day.

I glanced at my phone which was sitting on my bedside table. I had received Chris' email last night but I didn't read it. I suppose I wanted to punish him by delaying a reply. I also just wanted to sleep and forget everything and I knew that the apology I'd find wouldn't let me sleep.

I frowned as I picked up my phone. Nah, it's too early for this shit.

I went to the kitchen to prepare some breakfast. When I got there, Sammy and Claudia were already busy making breakfast, talking softly to themselves. When they saw me enter, their soft voices stopped completely. They were talking about me.

"Good morning Ali," said Claudia. "Did you sleep well?"

I didn't look up at her. "Yeah."

They were silent as they glanced at each other.

"Ali, what happened yesterday?" asked Sammy. "We didn't want to bother you when you arrived yesterday from Evergreen. That's why we didn't ask you then, but we're worried about you."

I poured milk into a cereal bowl, a deep frown setting in my eyebrows.

"You've always been so secretive," added Claudia, hesitation clear in her voice. "Did you fight with anyone yesterday? Was it your family, a friend? Was it the engineer? Did he hurt you?"

Their words had no ill intent. They weren't asking me these things to pry or because they were curious, they genuinely wanted to understand why I broke down when I got home.

The memories of Chris' humiliation crept in my mind. I placed my hands on the counter and took a deep breath.

"He said awful things to me yesterday." I simply stated. "But it won't happen ever again."

The girls looked at each other, worry laced in their features.

"Did you guys break up?" asked Sammy.

I brought my cereals to the table. "No, we didn't. We had a huge fight, we said things we didn't mean. I'm dreading talking to him, but I know I'll have to sooner or later."