Rory: The Longest Day

Author's note: I feel awful it has taken me so long to update at the most pivotal point in the novel, but I've been beyond busy for days and literally haven't had the time to even glance at Wattpad. I promise no more long breaks like this though. Enjoy.

********************

Pixie and I have been at the police station for hours before Blanca finally arrives and drives us to the hospital, her mouth set in a grim line. Neither of us has heard anything new about Austin. Blanca gave permission for them to operate on him, but that was hours and hours ago. Pixie sleeps soundly in the backseat. I wonder if she slept at all when she was stuck with Ray.

When we arrive at the hospital, the nurse at the front desk tells us that Austin is recovering from surgery in the intensive care unit, and we're allowed to go in for just a few minutes to see him.

"I'm going to get a hotel room near the hospital," Blanca says as we take the elevator up to the ICU.

"Does Dad know?" I ask nervously.

"I had to tell him, Rory," she says quietly, looking guilty.

I sigh. "I know you did. It's okay. How is Seth?"

"Safe at home with your father. I'll stay up here as long as you need me to," Blanca says.

The ICU is separated from the rest of the hospital by a door you have to open with a code from the front desk. I take Pixie by the hand as we walk into Austin's dark hospital room. Austin is covered in hospital stuff, his face mostly obscured by an oxygen mask and countless tubes. A heart monitor beeps steadily in the corner.

"Austin?" Pixie whispers softly, peering over the bed. She reaches out a hand to touch him, and I pull it back.

"You can't touch him, Pixie," I say.

"Why? Is he okay?" she asks anxiously.

Austin is too pale. The nurse assured us his condition is stable, but I can't get rid of the tight ball of fear in my stomach. He doesn't look okay.

"He'll be fine," I tell Pixie, hoping I'm right.

Blanca takes Pixie to the gift shop so I can spend a few minutes alone with Austin. When he opens his eyes I almost weep with joy, but I only have time to let him know everything is okay before he's gone again. Drifting away from me.

—————————

The longest day of my life still isn't over. Blanca is taking me and Pixie to a motel after we leave the hospital. She's been designated as Pixie's emergency guardian so at least the poor kid doesn't have to spend the night with strangers.

I'm so tired, traumatized and numb. Every time I close my eyes I'm back in Ray's truck with Pixie clinging to me as my mind whirled with what I was sure would be my final thoughts.

I don't know how any of us are alive.

Especially Austin.

He died twice in the ambulance, but I didn't share that information with him. He looked so pale and lifeless attached to all those machines. I didn't want to put the idea of dying into his head, however stupid that sounds. For now he's stable, but I'm too worried about him to sleep.

Now I know why Austin hates motel rooms. They are cold and lifeless. I can't get comfortable on the unfamiliar bed and can't help thinking about Austin and our last night together. So much has happened since I haven't even had time to ruminate on this monumental shift in our relationship. I glance at the clock on the nightstand for about the nineteenth time in the last thirty minutes. It's 12:44.