CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: IT'S 2:23 IN THE MORNING AND YOU'RE READING WATTPAD. OK.

ALEXIA'S POV

When I finally wake up to the sound of Marinette's alarm, my head feels cloudy and the memories I have from last night appear to me in a swirling haze.

To my surprise, since the first time I've met her, Marinette reacts to the alarm - turning it off quickly with a groan about 'noise' and a headache that threatens to shatter her skull. Presumably, one that matches the one I'm experiencing.

When we enter the bathroom and begin to brush our teeth alongside one another I notice that the redness of our eyes are almost identical too. I recognise mine as a byproduct of spending most of the evening crying and wonder whether Marinette spent the time after she left the party in a similar state.

What could she have been upset about?

She didn't exactly seem in fits of laughter last night but I can't think of a single thing that happened that might have caused her to cry. Maybe Alya contacted her about the Akuma attack and she was worried, or, maybe she hurt herself trying to climb the stairs to her bed once again.

With a friend as clumsy as Marinette, you can never be too sure as to whether or not her mood is a result of stubbing her toe for the twentieth time that day. But this seems more than that.

Her cheeks are still slightly flushed and her eyes appear puffy.

When she glances at me in the mirror its with something similar to discomfort.

None of these things correlate in my head and it's much too early in the morning to be doing detective work, so instead I put the thought to rest. She's tired and hungover.

"I can't wait for Mrs Mendeleiev to make this headache even worse first thing this morning" I laugh, nudging Mari as we leave the bathroom.

"Yeah" she moves away from me.

"I wonder how everyone else is feeling. I don't think anyone was really taking it easy on the drinks last night were they?"

She just shrugs in response.

"Did Alya contacted you after you left about the akuma attack".

Silence.

"I'm not sure whether Adrien pissed Zach off or he just likes to hold a grudge against any girl that says no to sleeping with him, but he sure had an issue with us" I let out another weak laugh.

"You were careless, Alexia. He drugged you and its not something you should be trying to make light off" Marinette turns away from me abruptly, sweeping a pile of clothes up into her arms as she did so and setting them back down again behind the divider.

You were careless. So this is about me.

He drugged you.

The words echo in my head, bouncing off of my temples at an increasing pace.

How is this my fault?

"With it being my first time being drugged, I can't say I knew how the aftermath would unfold, but honestly I expected my friend to be a little more caring" I snap at her.

She mumbles in response "You're lucky Ladybug and Chat Noir were there".

"Lucky my arse. I was still put in that situation to begin with. What has Ladybug done to prevent Zach from doing the same thing to others?" I pause, out of breath slightly with exasperation. "In fact, what did Ladybug do at all?"

"She walked you home to ensure that you were safe" Marinette peers around the divider with hate burning in her eyes before clarifying, "...from what I hear".

"Maybe. But before that she twiddled her thumbs on the side like any non-superhero would. Some fucking protector of the city she is".

For what feels like an eternity, Marinette doesn't respond.

I hear shuffling from behind the divider where she continues to change into her clothes for the day and as I listen, I pay close attention to the way her breath picks up in pace the longer the silence between us drags on.

When I finally give up believing that she'll eventually speak to me I pick up my own clothes an begin to change. Then I brush through my hair. Make my bed. Pack my bag for school. Grab breakfast downstairs with Marinette's parents. Return back upstairs to grab my things and then pause before leaving the room.

At which point Marinette finally turns to me, except she's not looking at me, she's boring a whole into the floor. She walks past me swiftly, reaching over my bed to the stool on which I keep a notepad, pen and my book.

Without hesitating, she picks up the book and moves towards me.

Now she's looking at me and if looks could kill...

At first I am unsure as to what is happening, so as she forcefully places the book in my hands I examine it. I turn it over slowly, trying to recall the story, and make any connection I can between its fictional world and my reality.

It's only when I open the book that I realise.

My note had been torn in two and left in the same place I had put it just yesterday morning.

Marinette knows about the kiss.