Chapter Thirty Nine

Lia

"I am in love with Kai Mori." Blair flops down onto the couch and sighs like a lovesick puppy.

She's hugging the paperback like you would a teddy bear.

She finally read it. About time. The girl has been in a reading slump for over a month—class books don't count—and I knew making her read the Devil's Night series would bring her back into the wonderful world of books.

"You read it!" I coo, so happy and excited.

And now I want to reread the series. I can't remember how many times I've read those books. They're too good. From the characters to the plot to the dialogue—it's out of this world. They're one of my top five favorite books.

Blair looks at me with a lovesick look in her eyes.

"Lia, he is everything."

I giggle.

"He's so hot." Nolee adds. 

"I don't care who you are but if you ain't Kai Mori, then I don't want you." Blair says and I agree.

Kai Mori is just mouthwatering. From the way he talked to the way he went from a good guy to a bad one, everything made my heart flutter. Damn him for making me fall in love with him. It's bad enough that he's fictional. He's so sweet and hot and how in love with Banks he is—ugh, they're so cute. 

"Wait until you read Damon Torrance's and Will Grayson's books. They'll make you forget about every other book boy you've ever fallen for. Except for Aaron Warner, of course." I confess.

Aaron Warner is the standard. 

Kill Switch and Nightfall in the series are the best books and Damon and Will... Those men can own me and I wouldn't care. Their chemistry as friends and as secret...fuck buddies was phenomenal. Damon and Will, this duo right here is why romance exists. 

Nolee is sitting on the floor in front of the coffee table eating her nightly snack—yogurt with dried nuts and fruits. She's listening to both of us, and laughing along. She's read all the books so she knows.

"You know what? Fuck real men. Real men suck. We don't need them. We've got our book-boyfriends. Book men know how to love a woman." Blair grabs a raspberry out of Nolee's bowl and stuffs it into her mouth with an adorable angry scowl on her pretty face.

Nolee and I laugh because where's the lie in Blair's words? But we also hear the despair in her voice and that only makes us worry.

Hudson fucked up and now he's giving Blair space.

After Blair came home crying that night, four days ago, Xavier and Zack went to Hudson and I heard things got ugly. Zack nearly hit him and Xavier got harsh with him. Both of them told Hudson to give Blair space because what he did was not only disgusting but also kind of unforgivable. It's safe to say that the guys are mad at him.

So here we are, four days later, and no Hudson. He hasn't been hanging out with us girls or his friends. He's been in class but he hasn't spoken to Blair. He has looked at her, almost longingly. A small part of me feels sorry for him but the bigger part of me knows that my best friend deserves better. She does not deserve some fuckboy hurting her after she confessed to him.

Who does that?

She was so happy when she told Nolee and me about her feelings for him, it hurts to see her like this. I wish I could rip out Hudson's blonde hair and shove them down his throat or knee him in the dick so he would think about it every time he fucks a girl. 

Or you know, whatever. 

Blair might be acting indifferent but deep down, she's hurt. The girl is strong and rarely lets her emotions control her—that night of her crying was one of those rare moments.

I'm wondering how Hudson is going to make this right. He likes her, right? I mean, I've seen the way he looks at her. Our eyes speak emotions words can't convey.

Out of the blue, my phone rings. Zack's name appears and I stare at it in confusion. Nolee catches it and her brows furrow.

"Hey, Zack, what's up?" I speak with my eyes on Nolee.

"Lia, you need to come here, now," Zack's voice is frantic and full of anger, "It's Xavier."

My heart drops, and my eyes widen.

"Zack, what are you—come where? What happened?"

My girls look at me in intrigue.

"The Creek. X has fucking lost it. Lia, hurry." Zack hangs up so abruptly that my heart stops.

Fear and panic and anxiousness consume every inch of me as I get up to go to my bedroom.

"What happened?" Blair asks, following me.

I grab my sweatshirt.

"What is it, Lia?" Nolee frantically asks as I walk out into the living room.

I stare at my girls.

"Xavier...I don't know but Zack—we need to go."

<3 <3 <3 <3

As soon as we get to The Creek, I jump out of Blair's car and slam the door. It's Saturday night so it's crowded with loud music and a race going on. I look around for Zack or Xavier but don't see them.

I can't stop the horrible thoughts about Xavier. What if he crashed during a race? What if he got hurt? What if he lost Bloo? I don't know but my heart is thundering with anxiety.

"Zack!" Nolee shouts and I spot his varsity jacket.

He turns around and relief pours all over him as he rushes to us.

"Fuck! Thank god, you're here." His eyes bore into mine.

"Zack, what's happening? Where's Xavier?" I look up at him.

"I don't know what the fuck happened to him, Lia, but he's been fucking reckless all night. He got drunk, raced, and started a fight with some loser. Lia, you need to stop him before shit gets bad." Zack exasperatedly speaks, his hazel eyes are dark with frustration and anger.

My heart falters at his words.

Xavier is drunk and is fighting?! Fear like no other overwhelms me and my breathing gets quicker. Zack walks us to where Xavier is and when I lock my eyes on the scene in front of me, I gasp.

"Xavier..." With a whisper, I say his name as if to give myself comfort. But that's far from the reality in front of me.

Xavier is on top of a guy, punching him. Blood is all over his hands, his lips are bleeding and there's a crazed, vicious, destructive smile on his face. His black hair falls over his eyes in waves, drenched in sweat. His arms are flexed, veins popping and his black t-shirt is rumpled and also covered in blood.

What is he doing? Why is he fighting? What happened?

"Xavier!" I shout feeling my emotions overwhelming me so much that I'm so close to crying.

Xavier stops mid-air from punching the poor dude underneath him again. His head snaps to mine and that vicious smile softens when he lays eyes on me.

Pushing off the dude, he walks towards me and hugs me.

"Lia..." His voice is raspy and...pained.

Xavier nuzzles his face in my neck and tightens his hold and my arms go around him naturally.

"What happened, Xavier?" I push him away a little and cradle his face, looking into his beautiful eyes but seeing nothing but misery and anger writhing in them.

My heart clenches in pain.

His cheek is bruised and it's bleeding. Xavier watches me stare at him. I push his hair away from his forehead and grab his hand.

"Come on, let's go."

I'm scared.