Chapter 16 - Alexander's Helmet

The Shadow Queen stepped out of the cave. In one hand she carried her ram’s helmet from the Temple of Siwa. Light from the full moon fell softly on the desert expanse. She strode over to a chunk of rock and sat down, setting the helmet next to her. She tucked her knees up under her arms and stared into the vast, quiet desert under the glittering heavens. All was still.

Scanning the sky, she could easily make out the constellation of Orion. Her eyes followed Orion’s belt down to the bright star named after the Isis-type Sopdet, or in Greek, Sirius. She remembered the pictures in her book of Sopdet sitting regally in a headdress of cow horns and solar disk. Her hand instinctively reached for the two amulets hanging at her waist.

She picked up the first, a green ankh, the breath of life. This had been one of her first acquisitions after the night the jar had broken and she had gained her powers. Over time, she had imbued the ankh with magic. She ran her fingers over the surface, feeling the magnetic energy that swirled and flowed within the stone.

Setting the ankh aside, the Shadow Queen picked up the tyet, or the knot of Isis. It resembled the ankh, but unlike the ankh, its arms pointed downward, representing eternal life, or resurrection. The black stone lay cool beneath her touch. She had tried many times to access the energy of the stone, but so far she had been unable to make a connection. She had tapped into creating life, yes, and with it the power of creation, but the power to restore life still eluded her.

The queen sighed and dropped the tyet. She sensed that much training remained before she would be found worthy. And yet she must find a way. She had sworn an oath to the woman who had sacrificed everything for her, her mother. The voice had taught her so much in the few short years since she had begun her training. But there was so much more she needed to learn.

What she wouldn’t give to restore the dead! The queen thought back to the night at the dig site, back when she had been just the girl Zaynah. She remembered how the jar had called for her, how she had desired and opened it. She had been so afraid at the sight of the shadow. She thought she was going to die when it entered her. She could never forget the pressure and pain as the shadow held her in its embrace, but when the pain subsided, she felt the spark of something inside. Something powerful. Something that whispered she would finally become what she had been born to become.

The Shadow had left her weak at first, but later it had given her strength. Most of the artifacts had been left behind, but she had managed to keep a few. Those she had sold and purchased the medicine her mother so desperately needed. She had opened the door to her home and eagerly entered. It was silent, eerily so. She entered the kitchen, but found no one there. A feeling of dread washed over her. Something was very wrong. Zaynah had tried to tell herself it was just her imagination, but something whispered otherwise.

She had slowly opened the door to her mother’s room. Her little brother Sayed lay over her mother’s body, sobbing uncontrollably. He had looked up as she stepped inside, then ran to her and wrapped his arms tightly around her. Zaynah held him close and ran her hand through his hair.

“Mama’s dead,” Sayed said. “She left us Zaynah. She left us.” Zaynah pulled away from her brother and ran to her mother’s side. Surely her brother was wrong. She felt for her mother’s breath on her cheek, but no air flowed through her blue lips. No pulse either. Her mother stared at her with glassy, unseeing eyes. She was too late. Too late. She had tried so hard to save her. After everything she had done, it hadn’t been enough. The sickness had taken her.

She clutched the thin blanket covering her mother in tight fistfuls. The grief rolled over in wave after wave. No tears, just a fierce burning deep within. Something snapped and the anger bubbled up and released in a primordial scream.

As her scream subsided, she heard another scream. She looked down to see green energy crackling up her clenched hands and stared into the horrified eyes of her brother. He was backing up, looking at her like she was a monster.

“No, Sayed, wait. I can explain,” Zaynah started to say, but her brother turned and ran, slamming the front door behind him. She dropped to her knees, her energy spent. She cradled her dead mother’s face in her hands and sealed her forehead with a kiss.

“I promise you, my father will pay for your death,” she had whispered fiercely. “I will keep searching until I find you Mama. I will find a way to bring you back.”

Pulling her thoughts back to the present, the queen focused on Sopdet’s star again. Somewhere in the universe lay the secrets to rebirth and reincarnation. She thought of the goddess Isis, whose husband Osiris was chopped into fourteen pieces by his jealous brother Set and scattered around the world. Transforming into a bird, and aided by her sister Nephthys, Isis was able to restore the pieces of her husband’s body. She had bandaged the pieces together with her magic. Neither fully living nor dead, Osiris had become a mummy. Isis had conceived a son by Osiris whom she called Horus, then Osiris was later forced to the underworld where he became king while Isis ruled as the queen of the heavens.

Zaynah had fulfilled the first promise to her mother by exacting revenge on her father. There was a certain satisfaction to that knowledge, but it wasn’t enough, and would never be enough. She couldn’t rest until she found the secrets to immortality. The Voice had whispered of an important place she needed to find—the Source. The Source would reveal all to her, including the location of Alexander the Great’s body. He would be the first to rise, then her mother would follow.

The queen set the ram helmet on her lap. She had worn it briefly before in the temple. She remembered the moment of euphoria when she could not only hear Alexander’s voice clearly, she could understand his words. But the joy had been fleeting. Her energy had been drained and a terrible headache had plagued her for hours afterward. She couldn’t be sure the headache was from wearing the helmet, but the memory of her vision of Alexander’s death still haunted her. He had paid the ultimate price for his power. The vision had been there to warn her. Despite the warning, though, she had been granted access to the helmet.

She ran her finger over one of the ram’s horns. Yes, there would be pain, but the pain would be worth it if she could endure long enough to discover the hidden knowledge she needed to unlock the doors of death. She must learn to counteract the pain somehow. Taking a deep breath, she placed the helmet on her head.

“Where is the body? Where is the body? Where is the body?” Alexander’s voice echoed loudly. She winced and removed the helmet. Yes, she could create her shadow creatures. Yes, she could control the inferior minds that dwelt at a lower realm. But until she learned to harness the power of the ram’s horn, she would never be able to control all, nor receive instructions on how to bring Alexander back. She needed to plug into the power without being drained in the process.

For a moment she allowed herself the luxury of imagining her kingdom fully realized. She closed her eyes and imagined herself sitting on her throne in royal robes, ruling with wisdom and justice with her creatures at her side. She would reconcile with her brother, and she would allow him a position of power as he could be trusted. Her priestesses would sit beside her, carrying her instructions to the people. The world of men would be put into subjection or crushed. The new generation of males born would be tightly controlled to ensure peace. It was a shame that males had brought this on themselves, but better they be destroyed than to risk the world falling back under the rule of tyrants who would reign with blood and death.

The queen heard a rustle at the mouth of the cave and turned toward it. A man in black police uniform, the leader of guard, stepped forward and bowed before her.

“It is ready, your majesty,” he said.

“Did you do as I instructed?” she asked.

“I have.”

“Very good.”

The queen tucked the helmet under her arm and stood up. If it was indeed as her slave said, it wouldn’t be long until she could use the helmet and fulfill her destiny.

____________

I would really appreciate it if you'd click the star to vote!

I've included a pic of Isis in the Media box. Here's a bit more about her. She was first worshiped in the ancient Egyptian religion, and her empire spread throughout the Roman empire and the known world. It was particularly popular among women and slaves because it granted them equality with their peers. Under the rule of Julius Caesar and Mark Anthony, the cult of Isis flourished. This was likely because Cleopatra believed herself to be the new Isis. At one point it became a major rival to Christianity.

After Cleopatra’s death, Augustus fought to protect the moral fiber of Rome from the “Isis worship,” feeling the “cult” undermined his power. He banned worship of Isis and ordered the destruction of her temples in Rome, but interestingly, Augustus allowed himself to be portrayed as making offerings to Isis in Egypt, where he hoped to gain the support of the Egyptians and show he had the power of the Pharaohs. As an interesting side note, there is good evidence that Augustus’s daughter Julia was an Isis worshipper. It is not certain if her worship was an act of rebellion against her father or if her faith was sincere.   

The star named after her is special because the day it appears, it marks the beginning of the ancient Egyptian New Year. Isis has been compared to Greek goddesses such as Demeter and Aphrodite.

Today's dedication goes out to @purplewolfgirl. I have so enjoyed her comments throughout the story and appreciate her support. It was awesome meeting you :)