Chapter 36 - Attack

Another double post today. Also, be sure to check out the soundtracks in this chapter and the next. Enjoy!

_______________

Kami felt a warm, peaceful sensation. The body of the Phoenix felt different somehow. When she had been in the jaguar's body, she had needed to overpower the creature's mind and keep it in check. With the Phoenix, she felt its presence lending her strength. She flapped her mighty wings and glided down until she hovered over her friends. Liam still carried her body tightly in his arms.

"Chris, man the shadow displacer. Liam, take the shadow blaster," Samuel said.

"What about Kami?" Liam said, looking down at her body, then back at Samuel. "What's wrong with her anyway?"

"She left her body to enter one of those creatures, I assume. Set her on the ground by you," Samuel said.

"I don't know..." Liam said, confused.

"Just do it! I have something I need to do," Samuel said, holding the shadow blaster out to Liam.

Liam walked over and set Kami gently on the ground, then took the weapon from Samuel.

"When I get close, shoot the giant in the knee," Samuel said. "When I get to the top, shoot the head."

"What are you..." Liam said, startled.

But before he could finish the sentence, Samuel ran onto the battlefield.

"Samuel?" Chris yelled. "Samuel, what are you doing?"

"He's almost there," Liam said as Samuel neared the giant. "Focus the displacer on the giant's leg."

Chris aimed the beam and Liam blasted the giant in the knee. It balanced precariously on the one good leg, then fell heavily to its knee. Kami flew over and dove at the giant's face, weaving in and out as the giant dropped the morning star and swiped at her. She flew at the giant's face again.

Suddenly she smashed into some invisible and repelling force that pushed her away from the giant. Kami fell rapidly, but she spread her wings and managed to right herself just before she hit the ground.

Samuel had scrambled up the distracted giant, heaving himself over its arm and shoulders, then onto its head. He pulled something from his pocket and plunged it into the giant's forehead.

The giant screamed and moved his hands to his rapidly expanding head. The head exploded, raining to the ground in a barrage of sooty dirt. The green light zapped back into the Shadow Queen, knocking her to the ground. Samuel shot into the air, then fell, his arms and legs flailing as he plummeted to the earth.

Kami dove for Samuel with talons outstretched. She reached out. Almost there. Almost there. Her talon scraped his heel, but he slipped from her grasp and fell to the ground with a sickening thud. The headless giant staggered away into the desert.

"Samuel!" Chris screamed as he ran to his side, heedless of the dust that coated him. He wiped the dust from Samuel's face and put his ear down to his mouth. He stood up and called out in an agonized voice.

"Kami, help. Where's Kami?"

She swooped back up and stared down helplessly. She glanced over at Liam, who was leaning over Haji, helping him sit up. She looked back at Chris.

"Hang in there Samuel. You're going to be okay. I need you..." and then Chris's voice cracked and he held the hand to his cheek as the tears flowed. "Please, please, please. Kami!"

Gedo's face suddenly flashed in Kami's mind, and all she could see for a moment was red. Blood. He had been losing so much. She felt sick. In this state, she couldn't do anything more for Samuel. Hopefully he'd be okay until she could return to her body. She needed to get back to help Gedo. Kami flew toward the entrance of the cave and in. She weaved between the stalagmites and skimmed over the wax river, hoping against hope that she would save him in time.

________________

To support this story, please vote!

Wow, this was a tough one to write. How's everyone feeling? What do you suppose Samuel had in his pocket that caused such devastation? 

Don't forget - double post. Read on for the next chapter.

Dedication for this chapter goes out to apeirce81. Thanks so much for your cool insights into the story. And you like Coldplay's Viva la Vida - yesssss!!! To follow and check out apeirce81's writing, click on the dedication link.