hide and seek

we met back at the unwelcoming but too familiar police station, the same one we had been in yesterday when the sheriff ruined everything for us.

the tension was even thicker then yesterday however, the fresh anger still brewing as the sheriff entered the room.

hotch stood up quickly, slamming his hands onto the table a little too loudly. "i've made a request for more police presence through out NYC, but it looks like our unsub is in hiding. i asked penelope, our tech analyst for a list of relatives, friends, and coworker's adresses mal could be at. we've dispatched officers to every location, so far we've turned up with nothing. "

the words hotch said were clear but his voice felt far away. i could feel myself dissasioating, sadness taking over my rationality. but why? why did i have such a bad feeling about all of this?

you jumped up, walking to the map pinned to the wall with a curious look on your face. "i could try to make a geological profile, predict where he is now and where he might go next."

"i mean no offense, but we don't have time to be playing hide and seek with a serial killer." the sheriff remarked, crossing his arms as if he had made some short of smart comeback.

you scrunched your eyebrows and squinted at him, tilting your head as you bit your tongue, obviously holding back something.

"there's virtually nothing else we could possibly do." you countered, taking a few steps closer to him.

"you're the F.B.I! what do you mean there's nothing you can do? this city is in danger and people are going to blame me."

"yes, they are." you replied, silencing the man before you.

i locked eyes with emily, who was grinning proudly.

  "well then this is a cold case." the sheriff said, raising his voice significantly. "i'm revoking your guy's permission to be here. leave."

"by doing that, your wiping any chance of catching him." hotch added on, rationalizing.

"all you guys have done is sit on your asses. i want the F.B.I out of here. our officers can handle this perfectly fine."

"then why did you call us terrified, if you thought you could 'handle it'? if you remove us and there's another killing, we won't have jurisdiction to help." hotch said, clearly growing angry.

the sheriff through his hands up in the air and walked out of the room, leaving us with no other choice then to return to the jet.