Chapter 30

JASPER'S  P.O.V.

I can't help the look of adoration that I know is on my face for my daughter as she sits on Alpha Dominic's lap.

Not that I like seeing her so close to him.

Mate or no mate.

Maybe I have no right.

But I don't really care.

I am her father after all.

I'm trying my hardest right now not to watch as his arm tightens around her waist, or the caressing circles he's making with his thumb on her thigh.

I'm sure it's not something any father would be thrilled to witness.

Instead I'm putting all my restraint in just looking at her beautiful face. A face that I've only been able to see from a distance for all these years. But close up I can't help but see how much she looks like her mother.
That fact alone grounds the build up of annoyance that I feel watching Alpha Dominic's subtle display of affection with my daughter.

Rubbing my left hand over my face, and through my hair, I try to look away again but to no avail.

After just having to relive the worst story of my life. My emotions are a little unstable, so I'm hoping he takes his hand off my daughter's thigh pretty soon before I lose my temper.

I try to give myself a silent pep talk.

'Just breathe.'

'Don't lose your temper.'

'No..you can't kill him.'

Even after all these years the memories of my past are still raw. They are flooding my mind like a never ending slide show.
Which is actually helping my mind wander away from the scene unfolding in front of me.

Though going through every memory I've ever shared with Aubree has opened up some deep wounds within me that I thought I had buried a long time ago.

Feelings I thought I had got over.

Apparently not.

I suppose watching your mate get murdered right in front of your eyes can either make or break you.

And I refused to break.

Even though I couldn't act as Jake and Eden's father properly. Them being in my life even secretly gave me the strength to carry on.

But then again who am I kidding.

I know full well that being their father wasn't the only reason keeping me going all these years.
The anger that has been swimming through my veins for my murdered mate for all these years has helped me stay strong enough to carry on and the thought of my revenge against Logan only helped me more with that.

Something I hear though breaks my concentration as I shake my head clearing the dark thoughts going through my mind. Just in time to hear Alpha Dominic say about taking me to one of the guest rooms.
I never expected to be forgiven for abandoning my children so easily or quickly. Not that I ever did, I just stayed hidden from sight to keep them protected.
But I really did think I would of had to fight for Eden's forgiveness and definitely Alpha Dominic's. He may have no right for an opinion apart from an Alpha male protecting his mate. But I had no doubt in my mind that I would of had to have fought him at some point to be near Eden enough to be able to even talk to her due to what I've heard and seen about his ruthlessness.

Yes that's right. I kept an eye on him too. He was always hanging around with my children when they were growing up and when I had heard that the young future Alpha had celebrated his 18th birthday I kept an even closer eye on all three.
I watched as he started to treat Eden differently after his birthday, and deep down I had a feeling I knew why he was doing it. I used to sneak on to his pack lands and watch from the cover of the woods.
I actually thought one time recently that Eden had caught me. I had been keeping an eye on them, within the shadows of the tree line during one of her training sessions. I had managed to stand somewhere where my scent wouldn't be smelt by them but when I heard the soft voice of my daughter getting freaked out thinking she was being watched I almost came out of the shadows and admitted it was me.

But after what I'm about to do now, I have no reason at all not to believe a fight with Dominic, as he's allowing me to call him, is in the not so distant future.

A wave of uncertainty runs through me as I know I'm about to break the trust of everyone. But I don't care about everyone. There's only one person that sits in this office that I care about and that's my daughter. The daughter that as from in the next few minutes I will have to fight with everything in me for her to forgive me.

.....Again.

But I haven't got the time to wait and plan a rescue with them. Before I had even stepped foot in to this office my trusted friend Theo who is also the Beta in the rogues pack had already mindlinked me saying how Jake had been caught and Logan was on his way back.

This is another reason I need to go.

I'm still trusted as a rogue warrior, and that trust I need to keep for as long as possible because being close to Jake is the only way to keep him safe.
I need to get back there as soon as I can. The last thing I need is for Logan to get suspicious of me after all this time.

Logan needs Jake and Eden together but that doesn't mean he won't torture Jake whilst he waits for his twin to turn up.

Plus if what I've been told by Denie's mother is correct then Eden will start to feel the pain that Jake will go through.
I'm sure Logan will use that to his advantage to lure Eden to him and when he does I need to be there to stop him.

I feel bad leaving the office with Spencer. Because I'm about to get him and the warrior that's following behind us in a whole lot of shit.

Also that I never finished telling my story, swallowing down the bile rising up in my throat. I remember like it was yesterday how when I was finally trusted to leave the rogue pack lands, I headed straight for Denie's house.
The sight I saw will haunt me forever, and that's another reason I never told them this part.
How walking up the steps to their porch, I smelt the overwhelming metallic scent.
I knew straight away that it was blood. And a lot of it.
I pushed the broken door open and the sight in front of me almost made me sick. Because no matter how tough you are, when you see two people you know strung up, tortured and their throats slit open allowing them to bleed out slowly, I don't care who you are. The sickness in your stomach is going to rise no matter what you do to try and stop it.
So that's what happened to me when I found Denie's mother and father that day.

I looked for years trying to find Denie. I don't know if she survived, if she was taken or if she's dead.
I never found her. But that doesn't mean I will ever stop looking for her.

I can't relive to many bad memories in one night, so I put my mind back on my escape.

It's something I have to do. I promised myself when I couldn't protect my mate that I would give my life to save my children's when the time came.
That's one promise I will never break.

I know I should have told them all what my plan is.

Maybe they would have let me leave willingly knowing it, but I can't take that risk.

Now I know my daughter is safe here.

I need to get to my son.

I have to get out of here. Now.
And as soon as I hear the warrior, Cole I think his name is, walking down the corridor to the kitchen I tackle Spencer to the ground.

I know I won't have long to cross the border, before Spencer informs Dominic of my betrayal.
So once Spencer is on the floor, I'm bolting out the door and running down the stairs.
The front door is in my reach as I hear the kitchen door open and Cole shout to me.
I don't even look around at him as I jump from the steps and shift.

My wolf is a fast runner even though he's huge, and I make it to the border just in time to hear the howls of Dominic's men a little distance behind me.

It's to late, as I cross the border line. This is when I take the chance and look back.
Five sets of eyes stare back at me from the darkness. I know it must be Spencer and the four warriors that were in the office with us.

I shift back to my human form just long enough to tell them to keep Eden safe, but before they can answer I shift again in to my wolf and run towards my son.