Chapter 42

EDEN'S  P.O.V.

I knew as soon as my father stepped over the border on to our territory and stood behind me, that things were about to get a hell of a lot worse.
I've never gone against Nic even when we were just friends and now that we are mates, the unsettling feeling churning in my stomach is a reminder of how bad things are just about to get.

Looking over my shoulder at my father with clear annoyance written on my face is all I can do now.
Well that, and wait for Nic and the border patrols to turn up.

My father looks at me with an apologetic look before speaking, "I need you to stop him from killing me. Don't make any sudden movements so he can have that chance. I need a chance to explain everything to him and with you in front of me, let's just say I know he won't hurt you."

"Yeah well let's hope you're right, because I can feel his anger through the mate bond and I'm pretty much pissing my pants right now."

As the words leave my mouth the loudest and angriest howl I've ever heard penetrates the air. Shadow is in control and he's coming to protect his mate.

Me.

*****

JASPER'S  P.O.V.

I know this isn't the best plan. In actual fact this has got to be the worse rescue plan ever.
But I also know that without me Dominic and his pack will never find the rogues, so killing me would be his biggest mistake.
Being an Alpha normally means kill first and think later. Yes I can hold my own in a fight, I am the best warrior in the rogues pack after all but going up against an Alpha, and an angry Alpha at that is not a fight I can win.

I wouldn't win a fight against him, I know that, and that's one of the reasons I am now begrudgingly standing behind my daughter using her as a human shield.

Resting my hands on her shoulders I feel her tense under my fingertips as Dominic's wolf howls through the air telling us he knows I'm here.  
Taking a deep breath I tighten my grip slightly on Eden's shoulders. Not only to keep her in place but to also silently tell her I'm still here with her.
I can only guess that she has never gone against her mate until now and a wave of guilt washes over me before I push it away. I can't think like that, I'm here for their help and once Dominic understands that the better.

I hear a noise coming from the right of where we're standing. I glance that way and see four figures approaching.
They must be the border patrols that have been sent here since I stepped over into their territory.
Two men appear not far from us, silently edging closer as the two other figures which are in their wolf forms snarl loudly in front.

I take a step back towards the boundary line, pulling Eden with me. There is no way I will allow her to turn rogue but I need them to back away from us. I'm just about to say that to them when Eden speaks instead.

"As your Luna, I'm ordering you to stand down."

This seems to do the trick as each one stops straight away without hesitation.

I look back to the woods just in time to see a ferocious black wolf come jumping out of the darkened canopy of overhanging trees.

Dominic's wolf is here and he wants his mate.

Saliva drips from his mouth as he continues to growl loudly, never taking his eyes off of us for one moment.
I open my mouth to speak when Eden is suddenly wrenched from my grasp. Stupidly I had taken my eyes of off the two men that had come here before Dominic had turned up.

In the instant Eden had been ripped away from me Dominic attacked. I just about managed to shift before I felt Dominic's wolf tear into my flesh and the smell of blood filled the clean crisp air.

I could hear Eden screaming but I didn't dare take my eyes off of Dominic's wolf this time.
I turn sharply trying to dodge his attacks, he's fast and ruthless in his attack on me.
We fall to the ground hard as the loose dirt and stones goes flying in all directions.
I'm trying not to retaliate and claw my way back to the border intending on crossing back over it and off of Dominic's territory but as I reach it I'm dragged back by Dominic's wolf's teeth around my lower leg.

Eden is still screaming as Dominic's wolf stands over me. He's waiting for my submission but he seems to forget he isn't my Alpha.

I don't have to submit to him and I won't submit to him.

I know it's either submit or die but I don't intend on doing either of those options.

Suddenly Eden goes quiet and I watch as Dominic's wolf looks up from me and stares at something behind me.
In all the fighting we hadn't noticed that Eden had moved closer to the boundary line.

"If you kill my father Nic then I will become rogue." Eden's voice booms through the sudden silence.

Dominic shifts back to his human form and I can hear him heavy breathing, and I don't know if it because of our fight or the fact he's worried his mate will actually step over the boundary line.

"Eden get away from there now."

"Not until you give me your word that my father will be safe."

"Eden don't push me, now get away from there. I will not allow you to go rogue." Dominic growls.

"Promise me first."

I see Dominic hesitate and Eden steps even closer to the boundary line.

"One last chance Nic. If you don't promise me then you will know what it's like to have a rogue mate. Is that what you want?"

I'm still led on the floor watching the exchange between them and just as I think Eden was going to give up, she raises one of her feet.

Dominic's rough voice bellows loud and clear, "Don't you fucking dare step over that line Eden. I mean it, the second you step over that line your father is dead."

Eden stops, her foot still slightly in the air as she looks at her mate with determination, "If you kill him you will never see me again. The choice is yours."

Dominic looks back down at me still lying on the ground and takes a step back.

"Fine."

As soon as Dominic steps back Eden is at my side. She falls to her knees beside me checking on my injuries. But they are not to bad, I've had worse.
But I can't lie that it's nice that my daughter cares so much for me after everything.

Her beautiful blue eyes capture Dominic's and a silent understanding occurs between them.

Dominic looks towards his men that are still standing not far from us, "Go and tell Raymond that times up for training. We leave in an hour."

"Yes Alpha." They all say as they disappear in to the woods.

Dominic turns to me with still an untrusting look on his face and I can't even blame him. I have done nothing for him to trust me in the past but I am hoping I can change that in the near future.

I nod my head in thanks.

It's time to get my son back.