Chapter Eleven

As the tributes gathered in a straighter line each one mentally prepared to hop up on the stage before them and lie. Lying is what got you sponsors in the Games. Single-file was how they stood. Each one felt their palms sweat and their hearts race.

Up ahead of Wren she saw Enobaria. The hazel-eyed girl flinched when Enobaria's eyes met her gaze. The woman was in a brown to cream-colored ombre dress. She snapped her teeth at the younger girl and Wren glared at her to show that she's not truly scared of her. Yet when she looked at the woman's gold embedded teeth she felt her shoulder ache.

Caesar Flickerman appeared on stage looking as flamboyant as ever in his deep purple, almost black suit. His lilac hair held so much hairspray Wren hoped the lights wouldn't set him on fire. Her eyes remained trained on the TV above the line.

"Hello, all of you beautiful people!" Caesar shouted into the mic. "May I be the first to welcome you all here for the interviews! I know that you all are waiting for me to introduce the first tribute, but I wanted to have a little fun and warm you all up."

The sea of colors sat impatiently for his next words. On the edge of their seats.

"Which tribute are you all most excited to see?" he asked into the mic. The crowd began shouting names that all blurred together.

"Clove?" Caesar questioned in an amusing tone. "Rue? Glimmer? Enobaria? Oliver?"

The bright-colored citizens of the Capital continued their shouts of tribute's names, but Caesar still continued teasing them by just saying names.

"Alright! Alright!" Caesar laughed with the crowd. "Now, as I'm sure I am much overdue. May I please announce to the stage for our very first interview of the night, Cashmere!"

The previous mentor from District One bounded onto the stage. Cashmere was covered in gems. Her blonde hair was pulled partially up and pinned to the side. Caesar held out his hand and welcomed her. She shot the crowd a pearly white smile. Wren frowned as the woman began tearing up as she talked about being in the games again. The brunette knew that she didn't deserve to be thrown into the arena again much less with her brother.

"I just can't stop crying," Cashmere spoke through more tears. Caesar tried comforting her but the woman only continued to weep on stage. Gloss, from the front of the line, sprinted onto the stage and pulled his sister into a hug. Wren felt herself tear up at the moment the two shared on stage. The camera cut to the crowd. Hundreds of colorful Capital freaks were crying alongside Cashmere.

"Well," Ceasar began, "now that we have Gloss up here we can simply combine your interviews. God knows how much time you two need together." Gloss and Cashmere nodded as if they were twins.

"Out of all of the competition who do you two view as a threat?"

The crowd leaned forward as Gloss cleared his throat.

"I think my sister and I can both agree on the fact that Cato and Wren are certainly our biggest threat."

The crowd gasped.

Backstage, Wren and Cato made eye contact. Both teens knew that it was a ploy. The two siblings of District One were not only beautiful but they were smart. They didn't want to play into the Capital's obvious threat. Katniss Everdeen.

"Give it up for Gloss and Cashmere!" Caesar held up the siblings' hands high in the air. The older duo from One walked back to the steps behind Caesar and sat down in their chairs. The crowd clapped and cheered.

"Next up we are pleased to welcome back the lovely Glimmer!"

Glimmer Belcourt slowly walked up on stage and towards the purple-haired man. His smile was as bright as Cashmere's dress.