Chapter Twenty

"Nice one, Wren!" Marvel said as the girl managed to kill a squirrel with her whip. Katniss got another one with her arrows and the group cooked them over a small fire.

The fire crackled as Finnick turned the squirrels. Wren watched him as he eyed the food.

"Finnick," Wren said startling him. "What were your Games like? I mean you won at fourteen-"

"Wren," Cato mumbled. "Sorry, Finnick."

The man shrugged as if he said that it was okay. Before he could tell his story, a memory of the horrific time flashed in his mind.

Fourteen-year-old Finnick Odair stood above his fellow opponents as he had just captured them in his trap. Fishnets. What else was expected of the boy from District Four? His blond hair partially covered his eyes.

"This isn't fair!" one of the boys left shouted. "Let me out and let's have a real fight!"

Finnick didn't listen. He only walked over to the boy and held up his trident. Finnick swallowed any remains of guilt he had. One motion was all it took and the boy was dead. Speared like a fish.

"No!" The last girl left screamed. Water found its way up her nose which caused her to cough.

Two more tributes left and he would be the winner.

"Please," she begged. "I'm only sixteen. I have so much of my life to live."

"So do I," Finnick said emotionlessly. "I'm younger than you."

The girl let out a cry as Finnick held his trident over her chest.

"I'm sorry," he whispered as he stabbed her. Her cannon and the other boys made him jump.

Only one more tribute stood in the way of his glory. He looked at the final person. Tall, dark-skinned, and muscular. He was from Eleven. It was rare to have someone from Eleven make it this far into the Games.

"Make it fast," the boy said. He accepted his defeat. He raised his head slightly; his brown eyes looked up at Finnick. "Tell my family I love them."

Finnick had to fight back tears. "I will."

Fourteen-year-old Finnick killed the boy from Eleven and heard the final cannon.

"Finnick Odair is the winner of this year's Hunger Games!"

Finnick looked up at Wren. Her hazel eyes were wide with curiosity. He cleared his throat.

"My Games were just like everyone else's. Brutal and bloody." Finnick left it at that as he pulled the squirrels off and distributed pieces amongst everyone.

"I'm sorry," Wren said. "I couldn't imagine what you've gone through."

Finnick flinched visibly as he thought of what Snow put him through. All the years of prostitution. All he ever wanted was to be with Annie and settle down, but no. President Snow had to have his way.

Wren's brows pulled together. What was Finnick not saying? She decided not to press further into it as Beetee began talking about District Three.

"District Three was electrifying," he said with a chuckle. "Computers everywhere. Cable lines, wires, you name it. My father helped install many of the Districts electrical systems back then. That way they could view the Games. Horrific isn't it?" 

Beetee bit off a piece of the meat. "My father retaliated against putting chips into people and told President Snow that it was inhumane. President Snow didn't follow through with the plan but he had my father publicly executed. The new year I was tossed into the Games. No doubt my name was the only one in the bowl that year."