Truth Is A Tricky Thing | July 26, 1899

This was very very subtly hinted at in the last chapter. And so here we are: did Kid Blink actually betray the newsies?

Enjoy! :)

----------------------------

The newsies are much more peaceful in their efforts to stop people from selling papes now.

The rally a couple nights ago had a lot of great effects. This was one of them.

Mush is proud of Kid Blink for persuading them to be more peaceful in their actions.

"I knew you could do it," Mush murmurs when they're alone--or as close to alone as they can get. No one is around in the moment; that's good enough for them. "And I knew you would win that floral horseshoe."

"Thanks for always believing in me," Blink tells him in the same low tone before kissing him.

It's peaceful moments like this in the early morning that they cherish. Moments where they are alone. Where they can do or say whatever they want. And no one is there to judge.

"You think we'll win the strike soon?" Mush asks.

"I do," Blink responds with a smile. "I really do."

Today, there's been talk about how they might get a parade...if they can get the permit from Chief Devery. Seeing how that went for Racetrack Higgins last time, there's only a so-so chance of this working out. They're all hopeful, though.

As the newsies go about the day, showing everyone that they're still on strike and aren't giving up soon, Kid Blink and Dave Simmons have their own business to attend to.

The pair of strike leaders walk and talk, coming up with ideas of what their next moves might be, and how long it will take for the World and/or the Journal to finally listen to them.

Suddenly, a well-dressed man comes up to them, smile wide, showing that they can trust him. But there's just something about his eyes: a shallow color; without any warmth or reason to trust. No, this man's eyes are a superior looking at an inferior. And so, neither Blink nor Dave trust him.

"Good morning," he greets them in a voice that matches his eyes.

They exchange glances. 

This can go many ways.

Only one way to find out what this guy's angle is.

Unsure of exactly how they should handle this, they stare at him warily, trying to get any more idea of what he wants by just observing him.

Luckily, this man doesn't give them another chance to speak, and continues the conversation himeself.

"You wouldn't happen to be the infamous 'Kid' Blink and 'Dave' Simmons, faces of the strike?" 

What gave it away? Kid Blink wants to ask sarcastically. The patch over my left eye?

"Yeah, we are," Blink says out loud, wanting to know why this guy wants to know.

"And who would you be?" Dave asks.

The man waves the question away. "It does not matter who I am. What does matter is that I work for the New York World."

So that's one of the motives behind this random World worker talking to them.

Yeah, they're not buying what he's selling.