38 | We Tell Our Story

Oh my gosh.

So this is it.

I am so not ready.

Yet I am writing this anyway.

Are you ready for this ending?

Let's hope it's a good one. Or maybe even a great one.

Enjoy! :)

-----------------------------------

It's July 18th. Today they celebrate Louis's nineteenth birthday before they go to rehearsal.

A LOT has happened in the past month.

Even just in the past eighteen days a lot has happened.

Starting with July 1st, their first official day of rehearsal.

It was a basic readthrough and getting to meet all the actors. Some younger than them, some older than them, a lot of them around their same age. All of them excited to be here. Some of them give them a certain feeling that's ... inexplicable. Like they should know them from somewhere. They just might.

In the end, it's all come down to this. Everything they've gone as come down to this moment in time. They're here, recreating the story of the newsies' strike of 1899. Sure, it's not exact, but it never was going to be exact anyways.

Kenny Ortega decided to call it Newsies instead of The Newsboys. They all think that's an excellent choice.

They also all learn that this was going to be a move in 1991. They got Alan Menken and Jack Feldman, and even Howard Ashman (may he rest in peace) to work on it. Alan Menken and Jack Feldman are back now. They were going to put together the film later 1991, and planned to release it in early 1992. But none of that ever happened, because the world just wasn't ready for it yet; nor were the audiences in the mood for a live-action Disney musical back then.

Well, the world better be ready now.

Because now they'll do what they couldn't do in 1992. They'll bring this story to the world.

And the world will know.

They'll tell their story.

That's what's so important to them: telling this story. It's not a commonly known story. Why's that? Is it because even though the world of 1899 is greatly different from the world of today, there are some things that haven't changed? Like how a bunch of kids are going to change the world and the adults in power just can't have that? It's a radical idea for sure.

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtul committed individuals can change the world. In fact, it's all that ever has." 
~Margaret Mead

For them, that's the truest thing of all.

Doing this feels amazing. They have never felt so strongly about what they're doing. 

And they're all here to support each other.

Of course, their parents still don't fully understand. Some are happier about this than others. None of them will ever truly understand.

Tony is living with his grandparents full time now, and is getting love and support each day, as well as them also telling him daily that they're proud of him.

Sean agrees with them when they say that Tony should get into public speaking. Tony doesn't know what to think about that idea. What would he say in front of a crowd? Sean tells him that as long as he talks about what he's passionate about, he'll know what to say. And that a lot of people need to hear all the things that Tony has to talk about. Sean can't be the only one to hear it. So Tony says maybe. It's better than a flat-out no.