Chapter 41

Rook

It was nearing midnight by the time we finally returned to my home. I could tell Eve was dragging. She was tired after her venture into the pit, but most of all, I could tell she was heartbroken, which made me mad as hell.

I wanted to crush her father's bones to dust, but out of respect for Eve, I had held back the vengeance of my wolf and had walked away. I knew this was hard for her, she had lost everything she had ever known in one day, but truth be told, she was holding it together reasonably well.

I pulled her closer as we walked through the doors that led into my home. We didn't make it far inside before we were accosted by a predator that stalked in the night.

Mia pounced from the shadows and clung onto one of my legs and one of Eve's. "You're back!"

Eve smiled for the first time since leaving her father's home, and it brought a smile to my own face.

Eve laughed and scooped Mia into her arms as she continued down the hallway. "What are you doing up at this hour?"

Mia squirmed in her arms with excitement. "Everyone's waiting for you!"

"Waiting for me? Why?" Eve directed that question to me instead of Mia.

"I wanted to make it official. The fact that you are my mate and the Luna of our pack, that is if you are willing."

I didn't want to push her into anything, especially after severing all her ties with her family, but I wanted her to know that she had a place where she belonged, forever. That, and having a Luna, would significantly lift the morale of the pack.

Eve glanced down at Mia with a sad smile. Her pause had my heart thundering against my rib cage. I wouldn't doubt her if she refused me, but if she did at this point, it would undoubtedly leave a hole in my heart the size of Texas.

"I would love to be a member of your pack and your Luna," she answered with a small, knowing smile.

I couldn't help but pull her in closer and kiss those sweet supple lips of hers.

"Hey! You're squishing me!" Mia proclaimed as I pinned her little body closer to Eve's with my own.

Eve and I laughed at her as I escorted her outside and onto the large patio. All my pack members surrounded the patio, all in wolf form. Eve's eyes danced with excitement as she looked around at them.

Mia pouted in Eve's arms. "I would shift too, but I'm too little."

A feeling of pride welled up in my chest as Eve hugged her tighter. "You'll be big enough one day, but I'm glad you are here to keep me company for now."

"I present to you, your Luna!" I said loud in a booming voice.

I stripped my clothing quickly and shifted into my wolf, joining my other pack members. I threw my head back and howled long and loud for everyone to hear my devotion to my Luna. All the wolves around, near and far, answered with the same call, forever pledging their loyalty to her.

As I shifted back, Eve wiped away a tear she desperately tried to hide. All the other members of the pack shifted back to humans as well.

"Come sunup, we will face the most deadly threat we have ever faced, but our odds are looking a little more in our favor with our new Luna fighting along our side."

Everyone cheered and clapped as I continued on with my speech about Eve.

Once her cheeks started to turn crimson, I pulled her to my side and dismissed my pack. "Get whatever rest you can. We meet at Dante's Point at dusk."

My pack immediately started to leave, and one she-wolf approached Eve to take Mia. I could tell Mia didn't want to leave, but one look from me and she went without complaint.

When we were alone, I pulled Eve closer to my chest and lightly kissed her, then I escorted her back to our room.

I busied myself with getting ready for the fight but stopped when I noticed Eve watching my every move.

I turned to her and walked a little closer to her. "What?"

"I am your Luna now, but I am not fully your mate yet, anyway."

A surge of heat blazed through my body when she slowly started removing her clothing. I tried to control the excitement of my wolf as I crushed her perfect body close to mine.

"You remember what I said about this that night in the woods? Once we do this, you are mine forever," my voice was husky with desire as I spoke to her.

"I remember and am yours, Rook, heart and all. I want us to be truly one, especially with our impending doom approaching. I want to show you how much I love you."

I scooped her up in my arms and carried her to our bed. One night would never be enough with her, but if it was all we had, I would love her like there was no tomorrow.