Chapter 4

Tanner

I'm still thinking about Jenna as I walk into the locker room. That little spitfire really made an impression on me. She's playing hard to get, and I find it incredibly alluring. As I step into the locker room, I'm greeted by several friendly faces. A tall blonde guy approaches when he sees me.

He holds out a hand once he's in front of me. "Hey, you must be Tanner. I'm Chase Smith, captain of the Cobras. It's good to have you here, man."

I shake Chase's hand as I say hello. "Good to meet you, cap. Most people just call me T.J."

Chase chuckles. "Alright, T.J., it is! Come on. I'll introduce you to the rest of the team."

I follow Chase to the middle of the room, where he grabs everyone's attention before introducing me. He then goes around the room and tells me the names of each of the other team members and the positions they play. I've learned Chase is our captain and plays center; his roommate Liam Barnett is one of the alternate captains and a left-winger. I haven't met him yet, but Chase says I will after a bit. Right now, Liam is busy with a sponsor doing a photo shoot.

It will take a while to remember all these guys' names. I try to quickly memorize them as Chase points out each guy and tells me their name and position. I can only recall about half of the team by the end of the introductions. The forwards I remember are Chase, Liam, Chuck, Nate, Andre, Patrick, and Joe. The defensemen are Rob, Drew, Dan, Tyler, and several others. And the goalies are the only group I remember in full because there are only three of them- Damien, Mickey, and Parker.

After the introductions are complete, Chase shows me to my locker and gives me a quick run-down of where everything is located in the complex. It's an impressive setup they have here. Part of the main level that isn't taken up by the rink and stands is dedicated to the team- locker room, lounge, gym, conference rooms, equipment room, and medical room. The rest of the main level is made up of concession stands, cafeteria-style seating, and the gift shop. The upper level has access to the upper-level seating, a smaller gift shop, more concession stands, and a restaurant/bar called Slap Shots.

As Chase finishes telling me where everything is located, the team manager, Rusty, walks into the locker room. Following close behind him is the Cobras' head coach, Marc Collins. I've met both of them before, and they look pleased to see me.

Rusty walks over to me and plants a large hand on my shoulder. "T.J. Levine, it's good to have you here!"

I thank Rusty and tell him I'm thrilled to be here. Then, Coach Collins grabs everyone's attention and tells us he has a quick announcement. "Practice has been delayed a little longer for today. There was an issue with a prescheduled event that requires the use of the rink. They need the ice just a little longer. So, in the meantime, you can hit the gym or doctor up your equipment. Just stay off the ice until you've been given the all-clear."

Rusty and Coach Collins make their exit, and I turn to Chase. "So, we can't practice yet? What kind of event would they let take up our rink time?"

Chase smirks. "It's Liam's photoshoot. The company wanted to do the shoot on the ice. So, his rep buttered up Rusty and Collins and got them to approve the rink time for the shoot."

"Damn, they must have balls of steel to ask those two for time on the ice." I've heard Rusty can be a huge dick. I'd like to see the rep that got him to agree to give up ice time for a photo shoot.

Chase laughs. "You have no idea." All of a sudden, I feel like I've been left out of an inside joke. Huh, I wonder what that's about.

I hear Rob across the room. "Hey, Chase, why don't we go show Liam our support. Cheer him on a little while he's strutting his stuff for the cameras." He snickers, and several of the others join him.

Drew joins in. "Yeah, they're taking up our ice time. Let's go see what they're up to."

Nate adds his two cents. "I think it's a co-ed shoot. There's supposed to be a female model out there with him."

At that announcement, nearly everyone launches themselves from their benches and races to the door. We all clamber into seats that give us a perfect view of the shoot. The crew is set up and ready to go. I see a tall, buff blond out on the ice talking to the photographer. That must be Liam.

Chase leans over and points him out, confirming my suspicions. I look around the rest of the rink. There's no female model out there. Hmm, maybe this won't be as fun as I thought.

The photographer shouts, "Okay, we are ready! Just need our lovely lady out here on the ice, please!"

Oh, hell yeah. Here we go. Bring out the sexy model! I look over to where the photographer was shouting and see Jenna from earlier skate out to where Liam is waiting on the ice. No fucking way!

She looks great in light gray and blue leggings and a matching long-sleeved, form-fitting top. That outfit shows off every perfect curve of her delicious body. She looks incredible. I look over to Chase. "Hey, that chick out there, is she really a model?"

Chase chuckles. "I guess she is today."

I give him a confused look. He turns back to the ice as some of the other players start shouting their praises regarding the scene before them. Liam is holding Jenna at the waist as he dips his head down toward her, and her arms are wrapped around his neck as they've been instructed to do by the photographer. It looks like they're about to make out, and I feel a surge of jealousy course through me. It only gets worse as I hear the comments the other guys start to make.

Chuck is howling, "Ow ow!"

Rob adds, "Get it, girl!"

Then Damien shouts, "Yeah, baby make love to the camera!"

To which, Drew quickly adds, "Or Liam!"

At Drew's comment, my head snaps in his direction as the rest of the guys start laughing. When I turn back to the ice, Jenna faces the stands and flips them all the bird with both hands, which earns her loud laughs from the whole team.

That only eggs Damien on. "Oh babe, I wish you would!"

There it is again. That twinge of jealousy. What the hell is wrong with me? Normally, I'd be joining in with these guys and probably making the same stupid comments, but for some reason, it's just irritating me. The thought of anyone else having hands on Jenna is making me feel some kinda way. And I don't like it.

The sound of Jenna's voice breaks me out of my trance. "I hate you all!"

Chase is the next to respond. "Aw, come on! You know you love us!"

Jenna shoots him a look. "Don't even get me started on you, Chase Michael Smith!"

Drew slaps Chase on the shoulder. "Ooooo damn! She whipped out the full name, man! You must really be in the dog house."

Chase laughs. "I told you I'd make it up to you."

What the fuck!? What does he have to make up to her? Wait, are they...?

My curiosity spikes. "Wait, you know her?"

Chase turns to me. "Oh yeah. I've known her for years."

Son of a bitch! I bet they've hooked up. Shit, what if they still are? Go figure, the first hot chick I meet is already hooked up with my captain.

Jenna and Liam change poses as directed by the photographer, and my mind starts to wander as I watch them. They look pretty cozy out there. Is she hooking up with him too? That bitter taste of jealousy is starting to consume me. Typically, I'd cut my losses and move on in this kind of situation. No chick is worth screwing things up with the boys on the team.

It's just- I can't seem to stop staring at her. I can't figure out what it is about her that makes me want to feel things out. Maybe it's because she rejected me earlier. Yeah, that's gotta be it. For whatever reason, I'm drawn to her like a moth to a flame, and in the end, I know I'm going to get burned. I just can't make myself care. Bring on the pain.