Chapter 16

Jenna

Lindsey is devastated about what happened at the bar. Once the boys left for their long week of travel, she broke down and told me everything. She said she had a nasty run-in with Val and her friends in the women's room.

Val and her minions told her that Chase had taken each of them to his special spot on the rooftop garden. They each had a detailed story to tell her, and by the end of it, Lindsey was so distraught she just wanted to implode. She said the stories were too detailed to be made up. And the way she relayed everything, I'm not so sure they did.

On the one hand, Val is a sociopathic bitch who would do anything to get to Chase. But on the other hand, Chase used to be a playboy who would do anything to get a woman into bed. I like to believe that he's changed, but my mind is still murky with my own emotional uncertainties that I don't know what's true anymore.

Add to that the fact that I had never heard of such a place before- it makes sense that Lins thinks those girls were really there. It's like a secret society venue- you only know it's there if someone's told you about it or taken you there. I just really hope there's some other explanation for it. Lins and Chase were so happy until this whole mess happened.

After getting the whole story from Lindsey, I wanted to hear what Chase had to say. I waited until Lindsey went to bed one night and called him. He swore up and down that he never took Val or anyone else to that spot- just Lindsey. He also told me he had no idea how the hell Val found out about it because it's one of New York City's best-kept secrets. I had my doubts for a while, but he sounded so devastated over the phone that Lindsey wasn't even texting him back that I couldn't help but believe him.

By the end of my conversation with Chase, I had decided to open up an investigation on Val and her little group of friends. Someone had to have told her about the rooftop. I just needed to find out who.

~

After doing some research using Val and Jenna D.'s social media accounts, I was able to find out their plans for the upcoming week. Lucky for me, they had an appointment at a well-known salon. A salon that offered alcohol to clients while they were being pampered. I made a few calls and was able to book an appointment for myself the same day as Jenna D. and Val. From there, I was able to do some proper investigating.

It didn't take long for me to discover precisely what Val did to break up Chase and Lindsey. The scheming bitch paid some of her floozy friends to make up bullshit stories to tell Lindsey- all involving Chase and the secret rooftop garden.

I also found out who told Val about the rooftop garden. Turns out it was me. Well, me and Chase. You see, Val's sneaky ass was hiding around a corner when Chase was telling me all about his spectacular rooftop date with Lindsey. That hussy got everything she needed to tear the lovebirds apart by eavesdropping on Chase's conversation with me.

That made my vision turn red.

I'd make sure Val got what was coming to her. I just had to work out how I'd get it done.

~

It took a few days to figure out just what I needed to do to fix the mess with Chase and Lindsey. During that time, Lindsey had decided that she would move back in with her parents. Talk about stressful situations- yeah, this was definitely one of them. I knew I'd have to work fast to carry out my plan and make sure Lindsey didn't move away. She and Chase are perfect for one another. I just need to make sure they find their way back to each other- soon.

The boys are back from traveling, and things are incredibly tense in the apartment. Liam has no idea what's going on other than someone did his little sister dirty, and he wants to make them pay. Chase is on the verge of a meltdown. And Lindsey has turned into a hermit. She will barely talk to Liam and me, and when she sees Chase, she immediately finds something to do in another room. I'm trying my best to hold everything together until I can set my plan in motion, but damn this is hard to live with.

On top of trying to keep my home life together, I'm also trying to sort through my personal life. I still have no idea what to do about Tanner. I don't know what to think anymore. The whole Chase, Lindsey, Val drama has made me not want to think about relationships at all.

So, I try to act indifferent any time I'm around him. He's just making that incredibly difficult with the ways he's been acting. It's strange. The way he talks to me, the way he acts around me, the way he looks at me all seem different from before. I think I'll try to put my love life on the back burner for now, though. I want to sort out one romantic mess at a time, and right now, my friends' turmoil is the priority.

~

I'm passing by the team locker room one day after meeting with one of the guys. Drew and Damien walk out and see me in the hallway.

"Wazzup Taylor?" Drew says as he pulls me in for a quick hug.

At the same time, Damien shouts, "Taylorrr, hey boo. How you doin?"

I look at both guys after they've claimed their hugs. "I'm good. How was practice?"

Drew flinches. "Uh, not great. Chase is still in a funk, and Coach is pissed."

Damien adds, "Yeah if he doesn't get his head out of his ass, he's gonna get benched."

Drew frowns and looks at me. "You have any idea what's going on with him?"

I hate that this mess is affecting the whole team. If it weren't for Val, none of this would be happening. "I have an idea... don't worry guys, I'm working out a plan to fix everything."

Tanner walks out of the locker room as Damien puts his arm around me. "See, that's why we love you!"

Drew smiles and adds, "One of many reasons. Later Tay!"

As Drew and Damien leave, Tanner steps closer. "Damn, did I miss the invite. You having a party without me?"

I try to hide my smile. "Very funny, Tanner. No, nothing to miss here, we were just shootin the shit."

Tanner smiles down at me. "I saw that. How have you been, anyway? I missed seeing that beautiful face while we were traveling."

I look at the ground, trying to hide the blush creeping onto my face. "I've been alright. Dealing with some shit right now, but that will hopefully be taken care of soon."

Tanner replies with obvious concern in his voice. "Oh, yeah? What's going on?"

"Just some shit Val is trying to start with Lindsey, but I've got something in mind to clear all that up." I chance a look at him.

Tanner chuckles. "Well, I'm sure you can handle Val. You're kinda great like that, Jenna."

I feel myself starting to swoon. He sounds so sincere. I have to get out of here, or I'm a goner. I make up an excuse to leave and tell Tanner goodbye. I need to fix this Chase and Lindsey mess stat. That way, I can go back to sorting out my out mess of emotions.

~

Saturday rolls around, and Lindsey refuses to go to the game. I somehow manage to convince her to come out to the bar and celebrate with everyone one last time before she plans on moving back Upstate with her parents. If all goes well tonight, that won't happen.

We sit at the bar, and I wait for my plan to fall into place. I keep a close eye on Val and bide my time. She finally excuses herself to the restroom, and I make my move. I grab Lindsey and head after her. Lindsey looks at me like I grew a second head when I tell her to wait inside one of the bathroom stalls, but she agrees to do it anyway.

Once inside, I set the stage for Val to make her confession. She takes my bait at every step, setting the truth of what she did free, and Lindsey is hearing every word of it. Val loves boasting about her conquests as much as the next puck bunny. So, it's not hard to trick her into spilling everything. By the time she's done, Lindsey has the whole truth, and she is standing behind Val, seething.

I knew Lindsey had spunk, but I never thought she'd have the guts to actually slap Val. It was a sight to see. I have to admit; I'm proud of her. She let loose on Val and made it very clear who Chase would be going home with for the foreseeable future. You go, girl!

Now that this mess has been sorted out, maybe I can go back to figuring out my own love life.