Chapter 5

Tanner

After the rink was cleared from the photoshoot, we were able to practice. It felt great getting out there and seeing what these boys could do. They've really got some skill, and each line seems to work together seamlessly. I'm impressed. I knew this team was one of the best, but seeing them practice in person and knowing I'm now a part of this team is surreal.

Once we were finished up for the day, Chase approached me and invited me to come out with the team to one of their usual hang-outs. He told me some of the guys wanted to head that way and unwind from the day. I thought it would be good to go out with them and get to know the team a little better. So, after we all got cleaned up, we headed to the bar.

~

I arrive at the bar a little while later with Chase and Liam. They show me to a group of tables toward the back and explain that this is where the team usually sits. A waitress comes over quickly and takes our drink orders, and we settle into a few open seats.

As the night goes on, more people fill the bar. A few fangirls come and mingle with us. One named Val or something like that comes and sidles up to Chase, who looks annoyed. I scope out the bar, looking at my options for the night. That's when I see a familiar face enter the bar- Jenna. She makes her way to the bartender. I can't help but smile as I watch her and think about going up to the bar while she waits for her drink.

While I debate going up to the bar, I let my eyes slowly roam up and down her tight little body. Liam notices my expression and teases, "Ooooo, who's caught your attention?"

He and Chase follow my gaze. They then share a look. Chase is the first to speak. "Oooookay, man, I know at the shoot we were all messing around making comments and all, but for real, dude. She-" he points to Jenna, "is off-limits."

That's got my attention. "What do you mean, she's off-limits?"

They've got to be fucking, right? I mean, if he's telling me to stay away, that's got to be the reason. He doesn't want anyone else sniffing around what's his.

Chase responds, "She just is, man."

No way. I'm not letting this go that easy. "Why's that? Someone already called dibs. Or has she already made it through the roster?"

Chase, obviously pissed at the last comment, shoots me a glare. "She doesn't do that! And she never has, so get those nasty thoughts out of your head! Just leave it at that."

Damn, I struck a nerve there. "Okay, man, damn. Whatever you say."

Clearly, I'm missing something. His warning only makes me more curious. Instead of dissuading me, he's made me more interested. What is it with this chick?

After a few more rounds, Liam and Chase are mingling with our other teammates, and I'm making small talk with Rob and Drew. I decide to probe them for information. "So, what do you guys know about Jenna?"

Rob looks at me. "What do you wanna know, man? You interested or something?"

I shrug. "Just curious. Is she linked up with anyone in particular?"

Drew scoffs. "Jenna? That girl has made her way through every roster this team has had except for a few guys who were married or dating."

Rob adds, "That doesn't mean she didn't try, though. Even the married guys were targets for that one."

Drew notices the perplexed look on my face. "She's the queen of all puck bunnies. I'd steer clear if I were you, but if you are just looking for a sure thing, go for it. Just get checked afterward." He cringes.

I must have had a mortified look on my face because Rob starts laughing. "Dude, she's cute, sure, easy- definitely, but get to know her, and you'd run for the hills. She only gets to stick around because she's friends with Rusty's niece or some shit like that."

I shake my head, my mind still spinning with all this new information. I usually like easy, but not that easy. I can't help but feel disappointed at this information, though. I was intrigued by Jenna. And I never would have pegged her as easy, especially after she rejected me earlier, but I guess you just never know.

Then I remember something. "Wait a minute! If she already made her way through the rosters, why did Chase tell me she was off-limits."

Drew nearly spits his beer everywhere. "Wait. Chase said that? Hold on, hold on, hold on. We're talking about Jenna, right? Her?" He points to a redhead flirting with one of the defensemen at another table.

I look to where he's pointing and shake my head. I then look around to find Jenna. I see her at her same spot at the bar, now talking and laughing with Chase and Liam. I point her way. "No, that is who I'm talking about."

Rob and Drew exchange a glance and start dying laughing. Rob collects himself first. "Oh shit, man! You're talking about Taylor! Oh, fuck! Yeah, she's nothing like the girl we were talking about."

Drew shakes his head. "Yeah, she's the polar opposite. A total catch. She's sweet, sassy, sexy as hell. No man, we all like her, but yeah, Chase is right. She's definitely off-limits."

A wave of relief rushes over me. I no longer feel the disappointment from earlier. I'm glad Jenna isn't the girl they described to me moments ago. But wait, didn't they call her... "Wait, you said her name is Taylor? I thought it was Jenna?"

Rob nods his head. "Yeah, her name is Jenna Taylor. We all just call her Taylor. I think she prefers it that way, so no one confuses her with that one." He points his thumb back to the redhead.

I nod, taking in this new information. So, there are two Jennas. That's good to know. That still doesn't explain why Jenna Taylor is off-limits. "Okay, so, why exactly is she off-limits?"

Drew and Rob exchange a look. Rob clears his throat. "Some of the guys used to play with her older brother. I guess that's part of it, but we also respect the hell out of her. She's one of a kind."

Drew takes a sip of his drink and adds thoughtfully, "I guess it would be different if she were the one to initiate something with one of us, but don't get your hopes up for that to happen. You have the same rule as the rest of us when it comes to her. You can look, but don't touch."

I let my gaze wander back to Jenna at the bar. Rob eyes me before adding, "Trust us, man, we've all thought about it. Hell, some of the guys will even flirt with her, but you gotta respect boundaries, man."

I let everything sink in as I watch Jenna talking to the other guys. I want to get to know this girl in every way imaginable, but if I act too rash, I'll have an entire team of angry hockey players on my ass. I should just let it go, take their advice to heart, but something about her keeps drawing me in. There's something hot about the idea of dipping into the 'forbidden fruit.' I bet it would feel amazing to get a piece of something none of these other guys have had, something they've wanted but were too afraid to go for. But I don't want to fuck up my career. So, I'll have to follow the rules, 'look, but don't touch,' at least for now.

I'll sit back and observe her, figure out how to approach her. Then work my magic and make her come to me. If she's the one to initiate something, these guys can't be mad, right? There we go. I'll make myself irresistible, make her want me, make her need me, and that's how I'll get her.