Chapter 25

Once the movie they were all watching was halfway through, that front door opened, Lucas looked towards the front door, his parents looking at her and their friends.

"Oh, hi!" Their mom said with a smile, Lucas paused the movie. "Hi, mom!" Lucas and his siblings said while the others said "Hey"

"Well we'll leave you guys alone but the latest you guys can stay is nine-thirty, it is a school night." She said and Lucas and her friends nodded.

"Except for you two, I want you in your rooms before nine" The twins groaned before saying "Yes mom"

"And Liz, I want you in bed right now, it's almost eight" Elizabeth frowned but complied.

"Goodnight guys," Elizabeth said waving bye before walking towards her bedroom, her parents' following behind her.

"Your parents are attractive" Cameron suddenly said, earning a slap to the back of their head by Wilson.

"No, 'cause you're literally weird for saying that," Lucas said, while everyone shook their heads disapprovingly.

"I didn't even mean it like that!" Cameron exclaimed, rubbing their head where Wilson slapped them.

"Sure, you're probably a milf and dilf lover, I knew you were weird," Lucas said and Cameron gasped.

"No, I'm not, shut up. Now this, this is slander. Transphobia at its finest" Cameron said and Lucas rolled her eyes.

"Did you forget? I'm under the trans umbrella, you twerp" Cameron rolled their eyes.

"Just unpause the movie," Cameron said crossing their arms as they slouched down on the couch.

"Fine"

- -

It was currently nine-twenty-three. The twins had already gone off to bed, and both Cameron and Wilson were getting ready to head out.

"Alright, today was fun, you guys aren't half bad," Cameron said standing in front of the door. "You aren't either, except for you constantly badgering me," Lucas said and Cameron snorted.

"Yeah, my bad. It was just funny" Cameron said and Lucas shrugged. "It's okay, I didn't really care."

"I could tell, you don't seem like the type to necessarily care what people have to say about you"

"Yeah, just want Emerson has to say," Lucas said slinging his arm around Emerson's shoulder.

"'Course, alright bye," Cameron said, and Wilson added "Bye guys, thanks for inviting us over, see you tomorrow!" Wilson said, both Cameron and him leaving the house.

"Alright, c'mon too, I gotta drop you off," Lucas said grabbing his keys and Emerson nodded.

They both went inside the car, "Did you actually have fun?" Lucas asked once she started driving and Emerson nodded.

"Yeah, I surprisingly did. They weren't overbearing." Emerson replied and Lucas smiled. "Yeah, but I won't be surprised if Cameron didn't irk you, they were purposely trying to get under my skin." Lucas accused.

"I could tell, but they're not bad, and you know that too." Lucas rolled their eyes.

"Yeah, I know, I think they'll be good for Wilson if they like him," Lucas said and Emerson nodded.

"Yeah, they probably don't like them now, but that's because they just became friends. You can't just magically like someone as soon as you meet them." Lucas raised an eyebrow.

"Why do you think that?" She asked curiously.

"Because you don't know them well enough, you have this idea of them and you like that idea, pero not them in general. You have to get to know someone to dictate if you like them romantically or not. You can feel attraction to them at first but it's not romantic feelings until you know their personality, because if you rush into things without knowing someone them they can turn out to be someone opposite of who you thought they were. Sure, you can know someone and they're still the opposite of what you've known, pero it's better to know someone's personality than just say you like them off the bat because of their looks or vibe." (but x2).

"Yeah that's reasonable but you can like someone from knowing them for a day, it just may not be strong and then you can get to know them more and start developing more feelings." Emerson shrugged at Lucas's response.

"Yeah, I guess. But you can't know someone's personality from just talking to them one day. I don't know, let's just stop talking about this" Emerson said, crossing their arms and Lucas nodded.

"Alright, we're here," Lucas said pulling up to Emerson's driveway. "Thanks for today, see you tomorrow," Emerson said before getting out of the car.

"Wait!" Lucas exclaimed as Emerson opened the car door. "What is it?" Emerson asked turning to look at Lucas.

"I'm happy you figured out your sexuality and your gender identity," Lucas said with a smile.

"Thank you, I wouldn't have figured it out if it wasn't for you, literally," Emerson said before leaving the car and walking towards the front of their house, opening the door, and going inside.

"Emerson?" Their mom asked loudly. "Yeah, ma', Ya llegue" Emerson answered back, walking towards the kitchen.

"Bringing out the Spanish I see, ha pasado tiempo desde que te eschuché hablar español." (it's been a while since I heard you speak Spanish).

"Yeah, ya se pero, if I end up not speaking Spanish again, I'll forget some words. Besides, it's a nice language." (I know but,). Emerson said as they sat down on the kitchen table.

"I doubt you'll forget Spanish, anyways are you hungry?" Their mom inquired and Emerson shook their head. "No, they bought pizza so, I ate already" Emerson responded.

"Alright, well can you wash the dishes?" Their mom asked and Emerson nodded before walking towards the sink and started watching the dishes.

"So, are you ever gonna invite Lucas over so I can meet him formally?" Emerson shrugged. "Probably, but I don't know when."

Their mom nodded "Okay, can't wait"

Emerson wondered if their mom would think of them differently for their sexuality. They wondered if she'd support them.

Hispanic parents are known for not being as understanding as other people. "Hey, mom, I have-" Emerson stopped talking, were they ready to risk their relationship with their mom?

"Never mind," Emerson said with a sigh. "You know you can tell me anything. Siempre té amaré" (I'll always love you).

"I know, it's nothing," Emerson said with a slight reassuring, fake smile.

They were scared, they've thought coming out would be easy, like how easy it was to come out to Lucas and their two new friends? Schoolmates? They weren't sure if they were friends now, but it was still easier to come out of them. Maybe, because they knew they all weren't straight.

Or maybe, they wouldn't care if they started to dislike them, but family is different, especially if their mom was all they had.

"Okay, but siempre estoy aqui para ti," (I'm always here for you). Their mom said with a smile, ruffling their hair.

"I know," Emerson said but, did they? Would she change her opinion towards them if she found out their sexuality and gender identity? Would she think it's a phase? Would she not understand the difference between sex and gender?

Emerson shook their head, they wouldn't think of them now. They'll avoid this talk, until they're ready.

Ready.

A word Emerson has been repeating, but they were starting to think if they were just saying that to delay the inevitable.