The Pope Of Comber

Chapter 3

A Golden farewell

The Vatican: The Eastern Bell-Tower' Early Morning Easter Sunday 1760 AD.

'You're...Holiness...? A meek and nervous voice broke the silence within the bell-tower.

'You're Holiness it is I, Bishop Angelo Sodano...you're worthy assistant...are you still alive you're...Holiness?'

'Yes!' Pope Clements yelled 'Of course I'm alive. But I should be dead!'

Sodano was a small modest looking man for a Bishop and he was dressed in his official robes. He stepped unto the floor its infernal heat had now all but dispensed.

His first thoughts as he saw the Pope sitting surrounded by a pool of water was just how bloody helpless and stupid he looked. He was a great man who was worshiped by countless thousands around the world. Yet now looking at him he looked like a pathetic old drunk. Just like one of those drunks in the corner of the room no one at the party wants to be bothered with. No one at the party wanted anything to do with that type of person. Because he's just lying there in a pool of his own piss.

I should strike that evil thought from my mind at once Sodano thought.

'What are you staring at...you bloody fool? Come here and help me!' Clements commanded his words which were sharp and cutting as that of a swords edge.

'Yes of course' Sodano said as he quickly shuffled towards the Pope putting his arm around the old mans body as he started pulling him slowly to his feet.

It was then, as the Pope was finally upright and standing with his back to Sodano. That the little man noticed the dried blood on the back of the Popes collar and even more blood stains were partially down the back of his white robe.

Although, as far as Sodano could see there seemed to be no visible bite marks on the Popes neck?

Perhaps by natural self-preservation or a knee jerk reaction? Sodano quickly grabbed the cross hanging around his neck. He took a few quick but marked steps backing himself a short distance away from the now freestanding Pope before him.

'What is it now man?' Clements voice was highly aggravated as he turned around to face him.

For a moment it seemed like a lifetime. Sodano was lost for words terror was stirring within his faint heart.

Sodano felt his mouth suddenly go bone-dry. He dropped to his knees in front of the Pope his bones felt brittle as his knees abruptly and painfully hit the stone floor.

'Get up you Bloody-Fool!' Pope Clements commanded in an acidy tenor.

'This is no time for grovelling like the pathetic little pet mouse you are!' he added with a little bit more acid on his tongue.

Sodano stood up but he was stooped, as he bowed his before his master. By then the pain in his knees was starting too sting.

'I'm sorry you're Holiness, forgive me...but ...Your clothes have blood stains on them?' he regretted what he had said the instant he had said the words.

'Yes...I know' Pope Clements said his voice now had a distinctive humble whispering hiss to it, 'and before you say another thing. I know all about the plans in place for such a disaster occurring.'

At a packed meeting three days before a Scared College of Cardinals had discussed many scenarios regarding the daring and terrifying plan the Pope had been tasked to complete.

Senior Cardinal, Sergio Sebastian, had removed most of the Vatican Council members from the Scared-Chamber towards the end of the debates.

With only a handful of trusted members left, he put forward his plan of action if by chance the Pope were to become infected or bitten by 'The Ancient One.'