The Pope Of Comber

Chapter 6

The 10th of May in the year of our lord 1760:

The North Atlantic Ocean

It is with a heavy heart that I write these words.

But I must tell the truth as best I can, and for the record. It is important that all occurrences on our journey in this awful time are recorded.

Many of us onboard these three ships are not seafaring souls and many including myself have suffered cruel and vile sicknesses over the last few weeks.

I perhaps am being fair-minded to my good friend and fellow Cardinal De Vitis.

From the start of this mission I have felt he (De Vitis) has not got the same purpose in his heart for the well-being of our ailing Pope.

I am afraid to report that my feelings were correct.

A few days ago Cardinal De Vitis got the captain of his vessel Captain Calamai to send a signal for both our vessels to join for a meeting. I agreed as did Captain Renzo as he said the sea was calm and in good favour of such a task.

As De Vitis boarded my vessel I had a strange feeling of fear and aggression so strong it almost engulfed me.

We knew many of his shipmates and De Vitis himself were suffering from a bad bout of food poisoning? As we to had suffered the same malady a few days before.

But I could also feel something else was a miss about him?

Captain Renzo was kind enough to let De Vitis and I use his quarters to conduct our business.

At first De Vitis was shy and awkward in his speech and thoughts on the matters in hand.

He would on occasion apologize profusely for no reason at all. This was not the actions of a man I knew so well and for so many years.

It was as if he was hiding something, something so deeply entrenched within his very body and soul he was too terrified to tell me.

I finally grew tried of his game, if it was a game he was playing. And I told him 'To come to the point!'

He broke down in front of me begging me to agree to destroy this ship and sent the Pope's sleeping body to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.

'Evil like this can't be contained. Evil of this magnitude needs to be destroyed!' He cried as he clutched the skirts of my robes.

To be truthful in my heart I knew he was correct.

But I also knew I had a duty to the church and all of mankind to carryout this important mission to the best of my ability.

'I cannot do that, and you of all people should know full-well why I cannot?' I said as I gestured him to stand to his feet.

'But' He said 'the more I think about this the more I think we are playing into the hands of the "Ancient-One" and all his evil plans for his future?'

He was right of course, there was know denying that fact.

'Yes, but what is the alternative answer to our demise? Do we do as you say and face the wrath of our lord God?' I said

De Vitis looked so pitiful standing there in front of me, like a lost child desperate to be reunited with its mother.

'So we're dammed if we do and dammed if we don't?' he said.

'Yes, that's one way of describing the situation we have found ourselves in. But as with so many dilemmas life throws at us we must make a decision and stick firmly to it!' I said.