Kaelan - Windfall Chapter 9

The smell wasn't as strong in the tunnel, but in the shaft it was unbearable. Kaelan found himself vomiting a few times right where the dragon sat. The creature had smelled the substance his body rejected, shaking his head before throwing up on himself. His vomit weren't liquid held together with traces of bread like Kaelan's, his were the tip of a finger along with some minced human remains. The dragon looked up at Kaelan then back to the finger, he blew his breath, a few sparks came out from his throat. Kaelan looked on, smiling as the creature was persistent. After about a hundred attempt, a narrow strip of orange and bluish flames blasted the finger. It didn't last last long but the finger was half burnt. He pushes the smoking flesh toward Kaelan, his eyes showed his innocence.

"I'm good," said Kaelan, in a whispering tone. The creature shifted his tiny pointed head to the side, as though he was trying to understand what the words meant. His long neck shined as the lantern sat beside him, his wings were long and were used to propel him as he leaned forward. Kaelan pushes the finger back, toward him. Without hesitation, the creature swallowed it up, not even bothering to chew.

"We'll need to change your diet?" said Kaelan, moving his hand slowly over the dragon's head. The creature moved his head upward, watching the finger's hovered over him. He started screeching as Kaelan's hand descended toward his head. "Don't you dare bite me," Kaelan warned, "this is my favorite hand. A slave without a woman, needs his favorite hand." The fussing stopped as soon as Kaelan began stroking his neck.

"I'll call you Night," The dragon bowed his head, when Kaelan started stroking the crown of the creature's head. "That's too on the nose isn't it?" The dragon rolled his eyes upward, rubbing himself against Kaelan's hand. He hissed when Kaelan stopped. "Windfall," he then said, stroking the beast's head once again.

"Kaelan," Arkron's voice echoed through the hole. "Can you hear me?"

"What is it?" he shouted back.

"You need to come see this, quick," replied Arkron.

"Is there anyone out there with you?" Kaelan shouted.

"No," Akron shouted back. "Every man with a cock is out in the yard fighting amongst themselves. The one's without the cock is weeping."

"What in Hades name are you going on about?" asked Kaelan, crawling backward with his new pet following him. It took him some time before he came back out the shaft, his brown cloak was no longer on his back but was wrapped in a ball.

"What's the matter?" Kaelan asked him, looking around the tunnel, seeing no one at all. "Where's the boy?"

"Joslin's with the rest of the slaves, fighting," Arkron said, smiling.

"Why?" Kaelan asked him, walking toward the entrance.

"You'll see," his friend replied.

When Kaelan reached on the outside, he saw the guards beating the slaves as they fought to touch a group of women who were standing inside the yard, leaning up against the closed gate. Kaelan was confused and curious, but he ignored them as he walked toward his home as fast as he could.

"Kaelan," Lord Nestor called out, as he hurried toward his front door. When he entered inside, Arkron followed, closing the door behind. Kaelan locks it, then proceeds to head toward his hall. He opens the coat, revealing the little beast.

"You found one," said Arkron, staring at the creature as he shook his pointed tale to the sides, as Kaelan pets him. "They'll kill us when they've learned of this," Arkron warned."

"No one can no," said Kaelan, staring back at him.

"Of course I won't tell," Akron swore. "May I pet him?"