Amiera - A Cry for Help Chapter 22

They continued on, walking upon a straight and narrow path, where a strip of ice stretched as far as their eyes could see. Waves beat against them, causing a few of them to fall continuously down into the choppy sea. As quickly as they fell, they climbed back on. One by one they followed Drustan, as he held Amiera's hand. When they looked back, they saw a few of Lord Muriel's men chasing after them with swords hanging against their waist, with bows and arrow held tightly upon their finger tips. The soldier leading the men held his bow in a fixed position, aiming his arrow toward the last man that followed behind his crew. The arrow came close to the man's left arm before a strong wind blew it aside.

"Hold each other's hand," Drustan advised, turning toward them. Amiera noticed a crystal like stone shining inside his palm, he closes his eyes as if he was communicating with the weather he commanded. A cold wind came, bringing along a blizzard that covered the surface of the sea. A few men fell to the side of the narrow path, being taken with the waves as snow covered the surrounding, sealing the men underneath the thick layer of ice.

Amiera could hear men behind her screaming as they were swept away with the storm, their swords falling and flying, following the direction of the men who once wield them. She didn't bother looking back, instead she continued on, feeling Drustan's grip as it was tightening over her hand. They walked until their feet could no longer carry on, snow was laying at waist height before the crystal with it's shine gave out. Just six of them remained, with Lord Archer standing right behind. She looked around and saw the sea was looking more like a barren Winterland.

"Keep moving," said Drustan, after taking a ten minute break.

"What is that?" Amiera asked, watching as he hid the crystal back into his coat.

"It's a Paragamal Stone," he explained, walking away as she followed closely behind.

"What does it do exactly?"

"Many things?" he confessed.

"Can you be anymore clearer?"

"It's what we use to enhance our abilities, it makes us last longer."

"When you say the word, us, you mean Elementals?"

"Yes," he confesses. "There are other Paragamal Stones which are rarer, I'm told it has the power to strip us of our gifts, I think it's horse shit, an old folk tale."

"Why haven't you told me before?" she asked him, "what you were, are."

"I couldn't, not while you were with Lord Kremwald. He's not someone I'd trust with my identity."

"And you trust me?"

"With my life," he answered. "I've been wanting to tell you for some time now. I never saw the right moment."

"Why didn't you want me leaving Silver Fields?" she asked. "Did you think I was safer there than out here?"

"I did, but it seems I was wrong," he admitted. "Lord Muriel is many things, but a liar isn't one of them. I thought your husband would protect you, not cast you aside."

"What news do you hide?" she asked, but he became silent. "Why didn't you want me chasing after Kaelan."

"Trouble follows him," Drustan confessed, stopping where he was. "The White Order and the Black Order wants him dead," he told her, while turning to face her. "Taking you to him will be the last thing I do."

"You need to explain."

"The White Order consists of Elementals who use Osharra, clean magic, the Black Order uses Naramani, dark magic."

"Like Obeah?" she asked.

"No," he said, "that's the blackest of all."

"Naramani, is what drives gifted men to become evil. When you follow the Black Order, you won't need Paragamal Stones. The two Orders have never agreed on anything, until now. They want Kaelan dead."