Kaelan - The World is Crumbling Down Chapter 32

Kaelan left the counter, taking two cups of wine with him as he approached Damien. He knelt beside him, resting a cup next to him as he stared at a brown haired boy. He saw blood covering his entire body, a large wound sat at the centre of his chest. His eyes were opened wide, revealing dark grey eyes.

"He has her hair, and your eyes, you can't hide the Solace in him, even if you tried."

"He was the only redeemable thing I had," replied Damien, as he pulls his son's body closer to his chest. "My one good quality, has been taken from me."

"When I lost my son, I saw when the Necromancer pulled him out from Amiera. He was this tiny thing, seven months old. He was..." Kaelan struggled to keep his tears back as he reminisces on the past. "He was beautiful. Amiera didn't want to let him go."

"What colour was his eyes?" asked Damien, "Did you even see it?"

"Yes," Kaelan answered, nodding. "Amiera had them opened. "They were grey, like hers. You Solace are stubborn that way."

Damien let out a laugh when he heard his words. "It's our best feature," he told Kaelan.

"I agree," said Kaelan, laughing. "Your sister was in the right when she left me, I took this precious life and I killed it."

"I don't care about anything anymore," Damien confessed. "I know what you have to do Kaelan, and it's okay. I deserve my demise. You need to stop him, the Solace family is the worst thing to happen to Valtray. Death follows wherever we go."

"I'll try," said Kaelan, "I can't promise nothing else."

"Wear the crown," Damien advised. "And please, spear Saria from this life, the path you're on will cause many to fall. Give her to Griffith, for in the end he'll be the one to make her happy."

"No one will follow me if I wear the crown," Kaelan warned. "I am as broken and tired as this country."

"That is why you must be the one, to save it. To save them."

"Kaelan!" Joslin shouted, running to meet him. "Come quick."

Kaelan stood up at once, following Joslin as he led him to the outside. He saw Amiera sitting by the entrance, her wrist were slit and blood was everywhere. Kaelan looked around and saw men and women were standing there doing nothing. He knelt next to her, watching an elderly gentleman as he dresses her hands. Saria's face was becoming pale, her life was fading from her eyes. Kaelan took her up, then carried her into the tavern, and then up the stairs. The healer followed him along with Elia and Lord Turick. Micah and Millie joins them afterward, watching as Kaelan sat by her side, trying to keep her awake.

"I need you to stay with me," he said, crying.

"Her wrist is cut too deep," the healer admitted. "The veins is severed."

"Get Arkron," he said, staring at Joslin who was standing near the door. Joslin ran out at once, knocking on a door that was a few doors down the corridor.

"Kaelan," Saria whispered, "I'm sorry. I don't want to live without him."

"I know it's hard," said Kaelan, placing his hand upon her left cheek, "but you're strong. You'll learn to live, he would want you to."

"Goodbye, Kaelan," she said, crying as she lifted up her hand, trying to wipe away his tears. "You'll find someone, who deserves you."

"Don't say goodbye, it's not over yet."

"Kaelan," Arkron called out, as he approached him. Windfall flew from his shoulders, landing on the bed beside her. He started rubbing his head against her face, coiling up near her pillow, she started crying as he did.