Kaelan - Tension Arising Chapter 20

When it came night, Kaelan found himself at the back of the wagon lying down next to Windfall as the rain descended upon him. Kaelan closes his eyes, ignoring the people as they clapped and cheered for the water. Saria knelt near a puddle of water, drinking it like a dog would. She watches her reflection upon the water, giving notice to the dark circles that surrounded her eyes. The moon was bright, brighter than they had ever seen it, it shined like a bright light, giving clarity to the forest all around.

"Why is it this bright?" she asked, noticing Arkron as he passed by with the horses, finding a puddle deep enough for them. "The full moon was last week wasn't it?"

"Among those assassins, is an Elemental who happens to be a Lighter. They manipulate the things that already exist. It's all we can do, we don't create it, we summon what's already there."

"Sounds interesting," she said, trying her best to fill one of the wine skins with water, her gaze falling back on Kaelan. "He'll be wanting some."

"Let him sleep," advised Arkron, "he rarely does. He'll be up in a moment."

"What was he like, when you first met him?" she asked, taking a stand, her eyes met his.

"He was naive," Arkron confessed. "He was hopeful which didn't last very long as he got to know the mines."

"These men fear him," she said, looking around as they bathed themselves. "Why is that?"

"No one would dare fight back when a Slave Keeper passes a sentence, but Kaelan isn't no one. In the mines there's a rule, if a man finds himself in the receiving end of being punished, another slave can volunteer and take his punishment as his own."

"No one ever did such a thing, in all the years that we've been there," said Arkron, glancing at his sleeping friend. "He did that for me, a man he barely he knew. When you get to know him, it's not for fear we follow him, it's because he gained our trust. He would die for me without a thought and I for him."

"It sounds like you love him," she said smiling.

"He's my brother," Arkron admitted,

"You keep talking about him, are you sure you're not the one in love with him, Princess," he asked her.

She didn't saying anything, instead she took her attention toward Kaelan once again. She took her time, walking toward him. When she reached the back of the wagon, she climbed on top, heading further in to meet a large bag. She found a cloak inside of it which seemed relatively new. She crawled toward him, shifting Windfall aside before sitting down next to him. She rested the cloak over both of them, then proceeded to pick Windfall up, resting him upon her lap.

"My hero," Kaelan whispered, opening his eyes slowly. 

"How long were you asleep?' she asked, curious.

"Who said I was sleeping?" he asked her, smiling as she stared back into his eyes, there was no grin on her cheeks nor smile.

"You've been asking about me?"

"No," she answered quickly. "Maybe once."

"What have you heard?" he wondered.

"That you were terrible in bed," she admitted.

"Really," he said, looking around, "who told you that?"

"That's what the voices in my head tells me," she said, laughing.

"You have to forgive me, it's been five long years," he told her.

"I don't think five years made any difference," she confessed.