Kaelan - The Beginning of the End Chapter 33

He followed her out the tavern, watching the evening sun dim as a flock of birds covered the sky. As Kaelan watched closer, he noticed that they weren't birds, but shadows, that had skinny arms for wings, a long pointy tip for a beak, a pointed head, it's teeth was fine and sharp. It's claws were as pointed as it's spikes that laid covered upon it's neck and back. At the edge of their wings were highlights of a dark red that marched their eyes. When they descended, a thin purple veil glowed as they bounces off of it, many died on impact. Kaelan ducks down, his hands were over his head as he coiled up at the side of the street. Leah turns back, lending him a hand, as he got back up.

"My barrier will hold," she said, "for now."

"What is that?" he asked, while staring at the birds and the dome that covered the city.

"There are Jumbies and there are Jumbie birds," she explained, while walking toward the back gate. Princess Elia and her brother followed along, with Lord Turick was trying his best to keep their pace as they walked quick, he then stopped and turned back when he ran out of breath.

"A Shadow Castor with enough energy, can summon almost any beings he thinks of, it's unheard of but possible."

He followed her as she climbed some old wooden steps that led to the battlement. When she got to the wall walk, she noticed most of the parapet that stood on the wall were made up of half rotted wood. Half of the battlement were stones and the upper half were worn out wood that the men of the city reused.

"Be careful," she said, warning her brother as he followed her on the wall walk which were made up of old cedar wood that held patches of holes. With each step she took, there was a creak under her sole. When Kaelan took his third step, his left foot fell through, scraping against the edge of the torn wood. Leigh helped him up immediately, noticing his pants around his leg were partly torn, there were blotches of blood upon his bruses.

"Are you alright?" asked Elia, standing a few feet behind him.

"I think I might've sprained my ankle," Kaelan confessed, trying to stand on his foot but groaned as he touched ground.

"Try not to put too much preasure on it?" his sister advised, while helping him hop across the hole.

He then took a seat upon the parapet, looking down upon the Shadow Castors that stood amongst the Lighters, the Blazers were on the other side, next to the Stormers. There were also Windlers present, dressed in light blue. As they looked on ahead, they saw a tornado starting to form, it grew and expanded as it came nearer. With the Blazers help, fire was added to the mix. Trees were plucked out from its roots, disintergrating instantly as the flaming tornado swallowed it whole. When it finally came closer to the barrier, it shook the entire city as it kept bouncing back and forth from the shield. Leah quickly grabs hold of Kaelan's collar just as he was about to fall backward.

"Why, didn't you come get us?" asked her friend in grey, the Stormer.

"They must really hate your family?" added the one dressed in brown.

"I can barely hear a word you're saying?" Leah admitted.

The Jumbie birds were screeching from above as they continuously tried breaking the barrier by flying into it. When some of them had died, they started pecking at it with their over long beaks. The children were crying in their homes, their voices echoing in the street. The screams of grown women overshadowed them as they packed their goods from the side of the street, carrying their items back home. Dogs were barking endlessly, they were all rushing at the gate. With just a snap of her finger, the Syler silences the noise around them. The people grew even more scared when their screams couldn't be heard. The dogs stared at each other, wagging their tales as the silence calmed them.