10 || Where One Is Home

Usually when it snows, Link sets out to find the closest form of covered shelter where he can remain warm beside a fire. The weather in Hyrule can sometimes be unpredictable, after all. A gentle flutter of snow can turn into a blinding blizzard within seconds. If he continues onward, he could very well risk getting stuck in the middle of Hylia knows where with no heat source and holed boots, therefore he'll normally play it safe, but not today.

The wind is harsh against his long ears and although he has attempted to hide the tips under his hat, they still burn red just as his frozen cheeks and nose do yet he carries on, maintaining a quick pace. He wants to cover as much ground as possible while there's only an inch of snow present.

Link should've found shelter by now. He knew since his departure that he wouldn't make it to any civilization before sunset when the temperature begins reaching its lowest point, but his common sense has officially been overridden. He needs to get to the village as soon as possible. There isn't a second to waste even if it's putting his own life in danger of frostbite!

Despite the strong chill sent down his spine by every blow of the wind, it's numb compared to his thoughts which solely focus on the news he had heard earlier. It was by complete chance that while collecting supplies at an Eastern village, he had been met with a merchant who often occupied your village. The woman had recognized Link, striking a friendly conversation at first which took a turn as she asked whether he had heard the news. Upon being filled in, he was quick to abandon his business in that village to return to yours instead as quickly as humanly possible.

It's only a small relief when Link spots the lights flickering in houses, guiding him through the streets and to the blacksmith he hasn't seen in years yet it all looks the exact same aside from the thin blanket of snow covering its roof and yard. The curtains are drawn, however the shape of a lantern hung by the window and several shadows dancing about signal the presence of people inside.

Against his manners, Link doesn't knock, instead inviting himself inside in a hurry. He doesn't even shake the snow from his body, too focused on making it to the living room doorway where he's greeted by two strangers. Well, you're really no stranger to him, but you might as well be anymore.

After three years, Link would've expected his emotions to sort themselves out, becoming hardened and forgetful enough to be unaffected as he so desperately complained they should be, but alas, those three years did nothing to prevent him from being bewitched by the sight of you alone.

There you stand, shining in the light of that dim lantern and the fire blazing behind. You're older now and, while still just as beautiful as in Link's dreams, the years clearly haven't been too kind judging on the tired daze to your once lively eyes further emphasized by the bags beneath them. Of course, it would also be reasonable to say that the current state of your appearance isn't from Skyview alone, but rather recent events, too.

It's extremely selfish for Link to be disappointed when you don't immediately run to him, although even his feet remain glued to the ground at this moment, stuck as he takes in the numbing sight of you and the tears that begin to prick your eyes.

The man beside you seems to understand the silent exchange, dismissing himself politely to the other room which leaves you to your old friend's company. It's upon being alone that your strong will shatters, tears finally falling into a broken sob; poison to Link's heart.

At last finding his strength, he's quick to rush to your side, scooping you into his arms and embracing you close with a smoothing hush in your ear. Nevertheless, you continue crying against his shoulder, the weight of everything crashing down upon you both. You've been cursed with so much stress as of lately, all of which you've been forced to bear on your own. Finally returning home, seeing the man you love after three years apart, and your father possibly being on his deathbed for all you know...