♤Chapter 13♤

I chewed on my bottom lip while I stared at the clock just above the living room flat screen. A few minutes to nine.

  I reached over to check my phone. Darwin's text message from ten minutes ago was sitting right there, glaring at me.

  'Want me to pick you up?'

  He had no business texting my phone because I told him I wasn't going. I didn't get to see him today because I went to the doctor and got blood drawn but was I not clear yesterday that I wouldn't go?

  Now, he was putting me in a hard place. A part of me wanted to go, I couldn't deny that, but it would've been so much easier if I stuck with the thought that I didn't have a ride and I would be bothering him if I asked.

  I tapped my pen relentlessly on the glass top of the coffee table. I glanced at the clock, then down at my books. I was studying again, for no reason. Just studying and writing notes on flashcards for the future. At least that's something I can plan for.

  "Fuck it," I muttered, snatching up my phone.

  I didn't call my mom because that would just make this harder. She wasn't home from work yet which wasn't all that odd. Sometimes she came home when it was almost eleven. But she did take me to the doctor today, so she had to work overtime when she got back.

  I texted her, 'Is it okay if I go out with a friend? We have a project and they texted me last minute.'

  Lied. Straight to her phone, I lied. And I didn't expect her to say yes. I would've been fine if she said no, it would be a solid response and excuse. My mom said no, although she hadn't known I was going out and it had nothing to do with schoolwork. No one had to know that little detail, besides, if I'd asked her if I could go to a party she'd definitely say no. Especially since the people she trusted me with were no longer around.

  I waited for five minutes. Biting my index finger and tapping my pen harder and faster against the coffee table. I was almost scared to look at my phone when it buzzed dangerously and lit up. I peered at it without touching it.

  'As long as you're back home by eleven.'

  I sighed and fell back, leaning heavily against the couch. I kinda wanted her to say no. It was the only thing I was depending on to keep me from going. Because I wanted to go, but I knew I shouldn't.

  My phone started to ring and I jerked upright. I gave myself a pep talk for three seconds before I answered, cool and collected.

  "Hello?"

  "Do I know whose house you're going to?"

  "Uhh," I glanced around frantically, "no, but I don't think we're going to his house—it's pretty far. His name's Darwin. We'll probably go to a diner or something." It was quiet and tense. It made my skin crawl. "But we don't have to tonight- he can figure it out."

  She sighed, loud and heavy on the other side. "Text me."

  I closed my eyes, massaging the spot between them. "Okay."

  It was fucked. What I was doing I mean. It took a long time for my mom to trust me. This was the only reason she was letting up. I'd gone out multiple times last year and came back home normal and happy. And now I was lying to her. For what?

  "I'll take a picture of him and send it to you."

  She sounded amused at least when she said, "All right, be safe."

  We hung up. Then I sat there for a few minutes and breathed. I stirred in my guilt for those few minutes and told myself I wasn't going to do anything stupid tonight. I never do anything stupid at parties. I wanted to get out of the house and make my own friends. Yes, that's what this was about.