♠Chapter 32♠

Been feeling numb these days, but I'm here. Not going anywhere :)

Just a heads up, this one's short.

♤♠♤

Mid-April

CHRIS

It was Friday night. Nate, Angel, and I were out at our usual spot, and I was not in my right mind.

I didn't make it a habit to be high or drunk, but I'd buried myself in assignments and my friends showed up to my place with reinforcements because of that. I'd been slacking on classes—procrastinating after midterms ended—and it all caught up to me. This past week, outside of work and classes, I spent my time and long nights finishing papers and completing projects. I'd buried myself so deep that I even started working on my finals, which were still a few weeks away.

Getting out of my work-infused fog took a lot. Really, Angelica came over to my place and snapped me out of it. She helped me see that I'd worked enough for the both of us and I was on top of most of my finals more than anyone else in the world right now.

With her, was Nate, who'd brought a bag of mini square gummies that I hadn't questioned and took two. Then three double shots of something very strong. Between those things, I'd never felt more mellow and mush-brained.

We hadn't planned on leaving the house but ended up doing that about an hour or so later after dazing our way through some boring movie on Netflix. We'd gotten hungry and there was nothing in the house—nothing we didn't have to make ourselves anyway. Take-out was an option, but we were impatient and decided to take the streets by storm. Three friends, absolutely hammered, and seemed to be hiding it pretty well.

Except Nate whose eyes were so low and red that he had to take one of my caps before we'd left the house. Angel was more in control though seeing as she only took three single shots. She was undoubtedly smarter and more experienced so she handled the money and talking to people part of things.

"What are we doing after this?" Angelica asked, leaning her head back against the couch.

Nate's hum was the only response, a sound that said he'd heard her but wasn't listening. I wasn't in the mood to speak so I didn't. On top of that, I was too busy Insta-stalking my friends and not being able to feel my body; The state I was in didn't allow me to interact and I was more than okay with that.

I heard snickering and looked up to see Nate laughing at me.

It took a second for me to even realize what was happening before I could ask, "What?"

"Why are you holding the phone so close to your face?" he mused.

Blinking, I held the device slightly away from me. "I can't see."

Nate continued to laugh until tears were running down his face.

Grinning, I shook my head and went back to my phone. I'd always had a higher tolerance for substances than most of my friends—Thion being the only exception. That didn't mean I couldn't feel it or they didn't affect me.

It took a second for what I was seeing to process in my brain which was why my phone was three inches from my face. Everything was distorted, almost like static but not really. Still, it was hard for my friends to tell how high or drunk I was because most of the time it didn't show. Thion was the only one who could tell right away but even he said I was fairly normal except for my delayed responses.

Speaking of him, I was onto his Instagram next. I wasn't sure what I did on everyone else's pages but I'd find out in the morning. I was on to doing, possibly what I'd been doing before, but paused when I saw the latest set of pictures he posted.