♠Chapter 20♠

"You went to a concert?" I looked between my three friends. Again, feeling equally bummed and relieved I hadn't been able to go out with them earlier during the night.

  It was a little after one in the morning when Nate texted me asking if I was up. Lucky for them, I was; in my red room printing and hanging up some photos for a self-appointed assignment. Fortunately, I finished minutes before I had to head down to the building's entrance to meet them. Now we were lounging in front of the TV, catching up on what they'd been out doing all night.

  "Sorry," Julia said, appearing genuine, "it was a surprise, and you said you were busy."

  "What tickets are you getting a week before a concert anyway?" I asked.

  Jules shrugs. "A bunch of seats became available last minute. It was amazing."

  "Not so much for Sean though," Nate said eyeing Sean who'd thrown himself down on the carpet, face-first, since they'd come in.

  Apparently, whatever concert they went to was very loud, high energy, and included lots of strobe lights. Sean got overwhelmed, or "overstimulated" as he'd called it, and ended up having to leave the arena and spent the following half hour in the bathroom throwing up. Thion had gone to find him and stayed with him until the event was over.

  Julia hummed, a half pout, half smile on her lips. She slid off the couch and across the carpet to lie on his back. "Sorry, buddy." Sean grunted in response. "You missed a hell of a show, though, not gonna lie."

  I couldn't help my smile when he grunted against the floor. "Never. Again."

  "You guys can stay here tonight if you want," I suggested. Then nodded at Nate. "Especially you. You're not getting on the subway. Do they even run at this hour?"

  "It's Friday. I don't mind crashing."

  The rest of them voiced their agreement.

  "Jules is in the guest," I decided, "since there's only one." She smiled and sent me a kiss. I playfully swatted it away. "The rest of you can stay out here." I eyed the extended couches. The two ends met, creating a corner that pointed toward the front door, but they were long enough. Thion could fit on both, so two people should be fine if they chose to sleep on them. "I have an air mattress too. Unless..." I couldn't help grinning, "someone wants to crash with me?"

  Nate rolled his eyes. "I'm sure we'll all be fine. The last time I slept next to you, you threatened me."

  I huffed. "I can't sleep if someone's touching me, all right?"

  He hummed sassily.

  I glanced at Thion to confirm with him what Nate had said. He was at the end of the couch, closest to the TV, but his attention was on the Orchid sitting in the middle of the round coffee table. He flicked one of the lavender-colored petals with his finger, staring at it—lost in thought.