♤Chapter 42♤

"You wanna go outside today?"

It was Sunday morning. Not even eight o'clock (because yes, we were a bunch of early birds) and that was the first thing my mother said to me when I walked into the kitchen to get a bottle of water. We hadn't spoken much, but we didn't get a chance to since I fell asleep on her the night before.

My eyes wandered the room before falling back on her. She wasn't even looking at me, so I thought I'd been losing my mind for a second.

"It's supposed to be nicer out," she added.

I, for one, thought the day before was beautiful. I'd come to love the rain and found it comforting weather.

"We could go to Home Depot or something—get some stuff for the house."

I was still comprehending what this was. And I think this might be her way of wanting to hang out...

After breaking down on her the day before, there was still some tension and awkwardness in the air, so getting out of the house could be a good idea. Maybe today would be different. I wasn't as opposed to the idea, though that didn't make it any less uncomfortable. We'd have to get used to that discomfort.

I glanced down at my PJs. "You wanna go now? I can go get ready." Honestly, Home Depot was the magic word. Anywhere else and I probably would've said no.

"We can leave at eight."

I left the kitchen without saying anything else even though I was excited about where we were going. We did a lot of our home shopping there, plus Christmas Tree, and Big Lots, Ross—those kinds of stores. Those were the few times we had fun with each other. Plus she needed my expertise cause if it wasn't for me, this house would look an absolute mess.

I was ready in less than half an hour since I'd already done all I needed to the second I got up.

I'd pulled on the first comfortable thing I got my hands on when I went to my closet; ankle-length floral skirt, oversized crop top, waist beads, and my Levi's. My hair was what took the most time and all I did was spray it and run my hands over it a few times before wrapping a scarf around my head and calling it a day.

I adjusted my watch and bracelets around my wrists as I headed into the living room again. My mom wasn't there because she wasn't ready. I sat my shoes down at the top of the short staircase and sat on the couch, crossing my legs.

"Well," I said to myself with no intention of following up. I glanced around the room as I slipped in a random pair of silver earrings I brought with me.

Leaning to my left, I tried to peer through the thick curtains to see outside. Today was a sunnier day, that was for sure.

Catching sight of the succulents, I got up and went to the bookshelf. My mom wasn't using it as a bookshelf though, it was simply a shelf. There were ceramics on it, candles, fake plants plus the real ones, and some other digglebats.

"I'm sorry, y'all," I whispered to the real plants. The ones that were soaked all the way through from yesterday. There was a high possibility that some of them wouldn't survive. I would've put them outside to dry out a little if I wasn't on my way out. I didn't know when we'd be back and they needed monitoring. I'd have to text Reese later so he could help me.

"They'll be fine," my mom's voice came from across the room. I pulled my finger out of the soil of a cactus pot.

I muttered, "She gon die." I gotta do something. "I'll be back, hang in there." I tapped the hard tip of the leaf. I felt like cancelling so I could do it now. Knowing my luck, I'd come back later to all of them brown and drooping to their deaths.