Chapter Seventeen

* * *

The room, as Sage had been told, was the very room where she had conducted a few meetings with the other leading females of her pack. This reminded her of what Aurora had said in passing, that Julia and Eli arrived just this morning. Planning to enjoy the last of their days before their second pup arrives—Yet Sage frowned at the room once more.

A pitcher with sliced lemons lingered in the water, she already had a taste and it was too tart for her. But she didn't want to ask anyone for water, real water.

This idea had come a few days ago, both Remus and her father approached her with kind smiles and said they wanted her to meet a friend. And even now she had the right to feel suspicious.

Right now all she wanted was her pups and a hot cup of tea, not to speak with a strange female. One that she's never—

"Calista, thank you for coming so quickly." Her dad's voice had brought a fair level of comfort. But not enough to get her out of this room.

"Cal, this is my daughter Sage. Sage, this is a good friend of mine Calista. We spoke on the phone a few days ago, she's here to have a chat." Sage blinked towards the female, and yes while she did smell familiar and like a shifter, she tilted her head in confusion as to what that scent reminded her of.

Especially the eyes, those seemed just as interesting. So very brown, almost like a soft honey.

"Luna Sage, it's an honor to meet you. I'm Calista, I worked briefly with the council and wanted to share my findings. I went to university with humans and thought bringing in their teachings to our world would be useful. Would you like some more water?" Sage had ignored the offered hand, but Cal didn't seem to mind as much as she focused her next task on pouring out water anyhow.

"I thought we could talk about—"

"I don't want to talk." She said through gritted teeth, holding herself up with her arms wrapped around her stomach. "Alpha Remus tells me you like to read, that you're planning on rejoining the high school program to get your diploma. I think that's a beautiful show of determination, wouldn't you agree, Alpha Hayes?" Sage looked at her father in the same bit of confusion as she had been in the last few days.

"I don't know when I go back to school...Pups need me." She explained, and was steered back to the couch with her father beside her and Cal in a separate armchair.

"Should I stay for—"

"For the beginning, yes...I think it'll be easier for Sage. Sage, I studied psychology during my time with humans. I'm not welcomed so much in the supernatural world considering what I am." Hayes peered over towards his daughter, wondering what she could possibly be trying to process in that head of hers.

"Not a wolf, not a witch..." It was the moment of truth for sure. And Calista looked briefly towards Hayes then back towards the Luna she was inquired to help. "I'm a she-bear...There aren't many of my kind left in the world, and I've yet to find a male that's worth my attention or time. But I've come to find that most males, no matter their species, are hot-headed. No offense, Alpha Hayes." He of course laughed along, but Sage's eyes grew wide as her lips parted.

Little surprised her these days, not after all that's happened.

But talking with a bear—A she-bear named Calista, well, what was she supposed to think?

"A bear? You're a bear?" Calista smiled and nodded her head once again, and something beautiful sparked in her eyes. One of understanding and kindness, and with no record of revenge for Sage's hunting habits.
Sage started to settle.