Chapter Forty

* * *

Upon returning back to the group, she made her check-ins with everyone—And it surprised Remus that Sage could not only retain so many names at once, but remember the time she spent with everyone.

"Harlow is passing the word that we're here, and I sent the reminder that if they don't hear from us in three days to send a rescue team," Hayes interjected Remus' thought, and he hummed in agreement. But following the Alpha's line of sight to Sage, who was in a rather close-knitted conversation with Blake, had answered Remus' lack of response.

Yet at another glance at the former Rogue, he looked pale as could be, was their general ill?

"Nothing shocks me more than how far that Rogue had come—How all these Rogues have managed." Hayes continued, and Remus let out a low chuckle. "America didn't think twice about the quality of a Rogue's life. Sage has changed the definition from the ground up."

"She's doing more than that, soon there won't be any more Rogues left—Nomads, my mistake. She'll threaten to bite my tail if she heard me." Hayes laughed, and Remus smiled at the thought of Sage going after her father for calling them by the wrong title.

"So much has changed in the past few years—Since Sage came."

"Good, that means she'll be stacked with more ideas." Remus shook his head, knowing full well that Sage would not slow until every wolf was helped. "She's already talked about a place where every supernatural creature can live in peace. I don't think anyone has ever thought about that before." He deemed, and Hayes nodded his own disbelief.

"All? You mean witches, vamps, and us?"

"I mean all all. But from what Kendal says—My hide is as good as dead if anyone from Coldridge wins. Nobody wants to deal with me—And Sage by association."

"You're a dangerous couple, I wish I could say the same about my son and his mate. But Hardin's blood has been deluded with Beta blood from his mother. Now Ronan, that is a fine line of Alpha blood in his veins."

"What are you suggesting?" Hayes could only grin as he began to step away, leaving Remus to follow after his father-in-law towards the better half of the group. His question went completely unanswered.

Though Sage would have been a better stop if he didn't keep to his promise of giving her some distance to be able to focus. No, she needed help in speaking to Blake, who was struggling for one reason or another.

"Sage, goddess, I don't know what this is. It feels like my heart hurts, what does that mean? Is it Bellamy? O-Or Raven? Goddess, I need to call them." He issued, and Sage nodded eagerly once again, heading towards her father to borrow the phone—Only to see that there was no service.

"Huh, I just called Harlow. It's been hovering at one bar for a while. Walk back to the bus, Blake. We can wait a few more minutes before we can head out." Sage agreed, feeling the panic through the bond she shares with her Charge.

But no matter how far towards the bus he walked, or even past it, had not given him the signal he needed to call.

"We need to start making some progress, Blake. Can't keep things held up because of a gut feeling." The glare Blake had mustered up had caused Sage to tilt her head. Usually, he was very respectful towards her father, given that they had even grown to have a small friendship during her time away as Hera.

So what had sparked this turn?

"Blake, we try again later. Okay? Charge up SAT phone." With Sage's words filtering through his desperation, it started to give him some benefit at the possibility of checking in later. But it was true, they only had so much daylight left to get into Crimson territory.