xxiii. download limit

dec. 13th, 2022

they say that the human brain is like a computer, using eletrical signals to send messages, always transmitting information. an integral part of our lives.

and when people talk about the brain, they always talk about the wonders it can do. the ways it makes our life easier. the ways we rely on it each and every day.

rarely do they mention the opposite.

the challenges, the hurdles.

more specifically, our brain has a download limit, much like a computer.

there's only so much stimulus and input you can take in before your brain turns into mush and in this mush-ridden state, it becomes that much harder to think.

to exist.

to do much of anything.

and nowadays, all you have to do is visit any social media site and you have access to a neverending stream of content. you scroll and you scroll, your brain all too content to receive free dopamine and before you realize it, you've consumed too much content.

you feel nauseous.

...

i feel nauseous.

i've scrolled so far and watched too many videos and thought i "learned" a lot but when it comes to the day after, when i wake up and realize the mess i left myself in, i didn't actually learn anything.

all those videos on self-improvement, all those articles, those witty images — in the end, i find myself forgetting all of it.

and in a futile attempt to remember the most important gold nuggets, i save things in my digital files, thinking that maybe someday, future me would need it.

but in the end, that type of hoarding weighs on you. you're constantly reminded of it, thinking you'll need it eventually but that day never comes.

so, in a desperate attempt at trying to recycle all that energy and effort you invested into those nuggets, you try and share them with people you think might need it. you think "oh, if this helps one person, then my hoarding has a reason".

but at the end of the day, almost everyone's a digital hoarder and most advice you come across is easier said than done or isn't applicable to everyone.

and as the internet grows ever wider, as the content streams continue growing, humanity will forever be plagued by this.

but i'm trying to overcome my digital hoarding techniques, one day at a time.

someday, i hope to look at something interesting and not get the urge to download and store it away for ages.

someday, i hope i'll be okay with the knowledge that i won't remember everything and that it's okay to forget.

someday, i hope i'll accept that my brain has limitations and that i can't download or cram every bit of information into it.

someday, i'll realize that i'm human.

and that's okay.