Friends can be Foes

Yuno and Asta sit together on the far end of the beach, watching Noelle as she stands with her eyes on the shoreline.

Her back is to them and the gentle breeze from the ocean air makes her silver locks dance in the night sky. All is calm and eerily still, and Yuno can't help but to open his mouth and breathe in the salty sea air.

Asta makes a small noise beside him, bumping his cheek against his forearm while his eyes flicker between his brother and the water mage.

A fond smile slips onto his face, he shakes his head and sighs "alright I'm going, I'm going."

As he speaks he begins to walk forward, bare feet sinking into the wet sand as he moves towards Noelle, Asta at his side the entire way.

"Are you ready for this?" He asks, coming to stand by her side.

Noelle fidgets at his question but she quickly nods her head.

"Yes," she pauses, "I think I am."

"Nervous?"

"I can't afford to be."

"Good, that's what I like to hear." They both turn to see their captain who looks at them with his usual stoic expression and cigarette held between his fingers.

"We're all ready to go, just waiting on you Noelle," he looks down at the wind mage "Yuno go put your shoes on."

"Right," Yuno nods, looking back at Noelle with a soft smile "You've got this, okay."

Noelle glances at Yuno one last time. Despite her words he knows she must be nervous beyond belief, what Yami is asking for is tall order for even the most experienced mages.

But Yuno has no doubts that she will be able to pull it off.

Asta knows this too, he nuzzles into the water mages side in encouragement, one of his gurgling sounds leaving him, one that Yuno knows is a sound of affection.

Noelle smiles at him, resting a hand in his shadow like hair, eyes soft as she looks at the curse who grins back at her.

Then she removes her hand and steps towards the sea.

"What do you think the underwater temple will be like?" Leopold asks him as Yuno moves back towards the boardwalk.

"I'm not sure," He shrugs, sitting down on the wooden platform. "If it's anything like a dungeon I'd imagine it'll be rough." He finishes as he slips his boots back on.

The full moon has risen above the ocean waves, a bright beacon of light in the darkness of night.

Noelle lifts her hands up, eyes closed in concentration and breathing in tune with the waves.

"You need to go back now Asta," Bell whispers as she flutters down into the curse's face, "your claws will break the spell apart if they touch it."

Asta makes a dissatisfied grunt but he doesn't attempt to argue. He looks to Noelle one last time, jaws opening slightly to send out one last howling noise in her direction.

And then he is gone.

"Water Creation Magic: Sea Dragons Cradle!"

Pride swells in Yuno's chest as he watches his friend's spell take shape, living proof of all her efforts and how far she's come.

The spell does exactly as it's designed to do; it cradles them in a pocket of air that will keep them safe as they traverse through the strong magic region.

They run into a brief bump in the road, quickly realising that the bubble is nowhere near big enough to hold all of them and Grey's bulking form. Yuno and his squadmates alike are nearly crushed between the man's form and the water spell designed to keep them safe. Luckily though Finral manages to bark out an order to transform into someone smaller.