The Safety of Cotton

He held her that whole day. He didn't really do much other than loaf on the couch, but it he wouldn't ever complain. It was probably the first day in a long time that he had just lied around all day, and he could finally enjoy it.

"And here I thought I was a stress eater," Indigo said, leaning against him. He had a big brown couch that they were laying on right then. She was laying right in front of him while he was holding her from behind, trying to get her to eat something.

"Sometimes the circumstances change things," Jim buried his face in her hair, pulling her closer. "It's going to be alright, Indie. You're safe here."

The way she put all of her weight on him enticed him, making his arms go around her tighter. He swore he would never get enough of the woman that had quickly started to take over his life. Feeling her relax in his hold was addicting.

"You know," she took in a deep breath, stretching her legs and arms before relaxing back into him. "I really didn't take you for a cuddler."

"I don't know what man wouldn't want that," he told her.

"Skaal might want that," she turned around to face him, wrapping her arms around his neck. "But I always though that the Detective would rather be up and doing something, or eating."

"You realize we're the same person, right?"

"You don't act the same."

"Well, you're right about that," he told her. "But we both still like the same things, you know."

"Can you tell her that we both like her?"

"Not now, Skaal."

"Does that mean that you both like to stick your heads out of windows to feel the wind?" Indigo asked, too tired to pay attention to the conversation that Jim was having in his head. She always seemed to know when he was talking with Skaal. She had told him before that she could see it in his eyes.

She was also the only woman that found his eyes so fascinating.

"You didn't even ask if he liked that in the first place," he gave her a questioning look.

"I bet you he does," she laughed a little, eyes still closed.

"This isn't fair, you know."

"You'll live."

"I'm smoother than you."

"We're not trying to be smooth right now, Skaal." He told the wolf. "We're trying to make her feel as comfortable as possible after feeling overwhelmed with a bunch of terrifying events."

"And if we marked her, we would be able to protect her easier."

"I'm not going to-!"

"What's he saying?" Indigo's voice threw him out of the conversation entirely. He looked down to see that her eyes were still closed, peacefully resting on his chest.

"What's who saying?" he asked.

"Skaal, silly," She answered. "Who else would I be talking about?"

"Wait," Skaal's voice invaded his mind once more. "She can hear me?!"

"How did you know that I was talking to him?" Jim asked, trying to calm the idiot wolf part of him that was way too excited to be normal.

And here he thought he was going to have a relaxing day.

"You're always really attentive of people and things," Indigo answered, finally opening her eyes to look at him. "But when you're talking to him it just seems like you're distant. Like you aren't focusing on the present or anything going on around you."