THREE, you're caught in my crossfire

CHAPTER THREE

CHAPTER THREE.
season one

"You mumble in your sleep," Ellie said as Joel woke up. He sat up from his spot on the couch. Ellie sat in the chair and he spotted Stella on the ground, asleep. "I've never been on the other side of the wall. Look how dark it is," Ellie said, staring out the window.

Joel rubbed his shoulder. He had probably slept on it wrong. "How long has she been out?" he questioned softly, not wanting to wake the girl up.

"Not long," Ellie said, not taking her eyes off the window, "She keeps waking up because of these jolts."

Joel knew they were more than likely caused by anxiety. His own daughter used to wake up from them before the pandemic hit. As if on cue, Stella jolted awake. She sighed, rubbing her eyes as she sat up, now noticing that Joel was awake.

"You guys go out there a lot?" Ellie asked, turning her attention from the window to Joel.

Joel licked his lips, "I guess."

"When was the last time?"

He sighed, "Maybe a year. What's it matter?" he questioned, already sick and tired of her prodding.

"But you know where to go. So we're gonna be okay."

"Yeah," he said, leaning back on the couch. Ellie nodded, looking back outside. Stella pulled her knees to her chest, laying her head down. "So, what's the deal with you two anyway? You some kinda bigwig's daughters or something?"

Ellie nodded slightly, "Something like that."

"You would have had to ask Marlene what she wanted with me," Stella told him, pulling at a loose string in her jeans.

They all fell silent for a few moments.

"Oh, the radio came on when you were sleeping," Ellie said. Stella wasn't sure if she was messing with him or not.

Joel's head perked up, "What? What was the song?"

Stella looked at Ellie from the floor, "He kept sayin', like, "Wake me up before you go-go"?"

Joel hung his head, "Shit," he said softly.

A smile made its way onto Ellie's lips, "Gotcha," she said and Joel lifted his head, "'80s means trouble. Code broken."

Joel got up, making Stella move back, "Listen-," he started, but got cut off by the door opening. Tess stepped inside, closing the door behind her.

"The spot under Landcaster looks good," she told Joel before looking at the girls, "You guys have jackets in your packs?" she asked.

"Yeah," Ellie said as Stella nodded.

"Okay, get them. It's time to go," Stella stood up. They both already had their jackets on.