ELEVEN, no one can hurt you now

CHAPTER ELEVEN

CHAPTER ELEVEN.
season one

At four in the morning, Stella fell asleep. The rest was short lived when she awoke an hour later, Joel still standing as watch. She watched the sunrise and Joel started to make coffee, which didn't smell the best. He let her try a little bit of it, the bitterness coated her mouth. It was not something she enjoyed. Stella rolled up Bill's sleeping bag, handing it to Joel, so he could figure out where to put it.

Not long after, Ellie woke up, narrowing her eyes at the bubbling drink, confused as to what it was. Her sleeping bag was tangled around her body. She moved toward the "stove" where the coffee boiled. Stella sat with her back against a tree, Coraline sat open on her lap. Joel was moving things around in the bed of the truck.

Curious, Ellie opened the lid to where the coffee brewed, sniffing it and immediately moving back, "Ugh! What the fuck is that?" Ellie asked, her eyes wide.

Joel turned his head, "You don't like coffee?" he questioned, making Stella crack a smile. Ellie stared at the coffee, a look of disgust on her features. She flipped the lid shut, grunting as she laid back down.

"Well, good morning, sunshine," Stella said, turning a page in her book and Ellie raised her hand to flip the girl off.

"Morning," she said in a mumble as she fell back into her sleeping bag, covering her head.

Stella chuckled softly, returning to her book. It wasn't long before Joel poured his coffee into a thermos and decided it was time for them to pack up.

The blonde closed her book, getting up from her spot. She was exhausted, even if it wasn't noticeable. She hoped that if she fell asleep in the truck, she would stay like that for at least a couple of hours. She shoved her book in her pack, walking over to Ellie.

Stella kicked the girl gently, not hard enough to hurt her, just to get her up, "Come on, Ellie. You get the front seat."

Ellie sighed, pushing herself up after a few moments. She rolled up her sleeping bag, setting it in the backseat of the truck before she got into the passenger seat.

"Where does the adventure take us today?" Stella asked, nudging Joel's shoulder as he adjusted himself into the driver's seat.

His seatbelt clicked into place as he looked at the blonde in the backseat, "Hopefully all the way to Wyoming," he said with a small sigh.

He started the car, driving out of the woods and quickly finding a main road. He drank out of the thermos. Stella swore it hadn't left his hand since they got into the truck.

"Is that seriously what those Starbucks in the QZ used to sell?" Ellie asked. Stella had her feet on the seat, her back against the door.

"Well, theirs was a lot fresher than what Bill saved up, but, yeah, this is what they sold." Joel answered.