8

A young girl giggled as her family crowded around her. She sat in a chair looking forward at a miniature piece of sweet bread with a makeshift candle on it.

Making a whole cake was impossible with the recourse they had. Some parents wouldn't even put in the effort since kids born in the new world would have no concept of birthdays.

They didn't care though. Her family wanted to make sure that they made her special day as real as possible.

Her mother smiled. "Make a wish Prim"! The girl closed her eyes. She took a deep breath in, ready to blow out her candle.

Unfortunately, when she opened her eyes her family was nowhere to be seen. There was no cake, no laughter. She wasn't even in a house anymore.

Prim stood on the hotel ledge. The wind blew in her face as she looked down at all the stalkers that were bunched up together in one pile. All of a sudden a pair of arms wrapped around her waist pulling her down.

"Are you insane"! a voice yelled. "You're not supposed to run off like that and where the hell are your shoes".

Tess sighed. They were already having to deal with the hoard of monsters below them. Prim stayed in the back listening to the shrieks. Her face was full of discomfort.

Ellie stood up to get a better look. "There's so many".

"The last time we were here, they were still deep inside the buildings. Then I guess enough people came through looking for the QZ, they went inside seeking shelter, and that's how they get more and more of the city bit by bit, year after year".

"They connected", Ellie mentioned. She continued to look down in fascination.

"More than you know. The fungus also grows underground, long fiber-like wires, some of them stretching over a mile. Now, you step on a patch of cordyceps in one place and you can wake a dozen infected from somewhere else. Now they know where you are, now they come ".

Tess looked between Ellie and Prim. "You two are not immune from being ripped apart, I'm trying to keep the both of you safe".

"So we're not going that way, what do we do"? Tess did not say anything causing Ellie to become nervous. "Short way"?!

'Museum".
_______________________________________________________________________________________

"You've gotta be fucking kidding me", Ellie said when she saw the fungus that was all over the building.

"Well, there's a way across from the top floor".

"Well, then I guess it's fine".

"We used to take it all the time so we should be good".

Prim stared down at the ground while the two bickered about safety. Vines started to wrap around her feet. She ignored them and walked up beside Ellie.

"Okay, so more ground rules, we're gonna go slowly if we come up agasint anything you guys get behind us and you stay there". Tess pulled a gun out of her jacket.

"I have a spare hand", Ellie commented hoping to get one for herself.

"Congratulations".

Joel walked ahead of them to scout out. Prim followed behind Ellie since she was holding the flashlight. The place was quiet, a little too quiet for her liking.

The group stumbled upon dead bodies that laid all across the floor. "Yeah, cooked".

"Oh, finally some fuckin luck".

"I guess we should've gone this way in the first place".

The girls turned the corner. A dead man was laying agasint the wall catching Ellie off guard. "Oh Shit"! Joel ran over to them.

Prim noticed the scratches and fresh blood. "Maybe, maybe he was attacked outside and crawled through the doors. The door was open. Could've been him, I don't hear anything".

"Who would you hear"? Ellie's words caused the two adults to whip their heads toward her. They made gestures for her to be quiet.

"Who would you hear", she asked again, this time whispering. "Are you saying an infected did that"? Tess shushed her. It didn't help. "I've been attacked by one and it wasn't like that".

"Okay from this point forward we are silent. Not quite. Silent. No questions, just do it". Joel slowly walked up the stairs.

Prim grabbed Ellie's arm to stop her. Thinking that she was scared Ellie held Prim's hand. "It's ok, you don't have to be scared we can walk together". The wood flooring creaked with every step hiding the sound of Prim clicking her tongue.

More bodies came up in piles and a loud rumbling sound echoed through the building.

As soon as everyone walked through the doors to the top room the rumbling got louder. Tess, Ellie, and Prim fell onto the floor nearly missing all the debris that collapsed behind them.

Prim stood up facing the hall. A loud screeching sound came for it. Her eyes widened and her breath became ragged. There was a hint of terror as she spoke. "Ze komen er aan".