12

Ellie looked at Tess. Tess looked at Ellie. Joel looked at Tess. Tess looked at Joel. Tensions in the room were high. "Show me", Joel demanded. Tess gave him a pleading look as she uttered his name. The man quickly took steps back as she approached him.

Knowing this was it, Tess pulled down the collar of her jacket to reveal a red veiny mark that spread across her collarbone. "Oops, right", she joked. Ellie's hand held onto Prim's arm.

"Take your bandage off", Tess told her. When she did, the bite marks that lined her arm were almost fully faded. Prim stepped back when Tess grabbed Ellie. "Look, Joel, this is real". She then slightly turned towards Prim.

"Did you not see what the fuck she did back there. She ripped one of those things heads clean off and is completely fine". Joel gave her a look that was mixed with cautiousness and a little bit of fear. Something she was used to.

Tess's arm shook without her control, she sighed. After everything this was how it was going to end. Her eyes pleaded with Joel's. "I need you to take them to Bill and Frank".

While the two argued about the girl's travel state, Prim looked to her side. One of the bodies was still moving. She stared, watching as it slowly pulled itself across the flower. "Oh fuck". Ellie yelled, alerting the adults.

A loud Bang echoed throughout the building when Joel put a bullet in the guy's head. Prim gasped. The grass underneath her protruded white vines that tried to wrap around her feet.

Suddenly the air around her went wild. Whispers, yells, screams, cries. Ever and all emotions tore into her brain as easily as slicing butter. Her hands flew up to cover her ears. It was no help, the damage had already been done. "Prim", Ellie called out concerningly. 

Prim fought off the sensation long enough to utter two words. "Leur venue".

Not even a second after. Snarls could be heard in the distance. Multiple feet pushed against the ground. All heading in the same direction. Joel rushed to the door. Another shitty situation on top of another.

"How many"?

"A lot, maybe a minute". There was urgency in every step he took. However, to Tess, it did not actually matter how many there were. This was her last stop. If she was going to go down it would not be without a fight. 

She picked up a gun. Then used it to knock over the barrels of oil. Ellie held Prim to her as she looked on confused. "What are you doing"?

"Making sure they don't follow you".

Joel stood there not sure what to do. He almost could not believe what was happening. Grenades rolled to their feet. "Joel", Tess whispered. This time he stood still when she approached. She gave one last smile, 'Save who you can".

With that, a flip was switched in Joel's mind. He hauled Prim over his shoulder and grabbed Ellie's arm. Prim did not protest, she was grateful for what he was doing. Any longer she would have passed out.

Ellie was not as docile. "NO, we are not leaving her. Let me go you fucker. I'm not going with you". Her hands beat on his arm. It was no use, his grip was too tight.

The building exploded into a fiery blaze. Glass shattered into nothing. Smoke filled the air. Joel put down prim. The trio looked on, different expressions on each of their faces. Silently, with only a glance, Joel walked away.

The two girls stood there, their eyes fixated on the destruction. Prim was feeling so much at the moment she did not even consider running away at the chance given. For the first time, in a long time, tears slid down her cheek.

She looked at Ellie, "I am so sorry".