3. Hello Gorgeous

Song for Chapter: Closer ~ Ne Yo

GABRIEL

After years of being schmoozed by all sorts of COO's, CFO's, VP's and investor's I've learned a thing or two about people in this industry; very few are genuine and many will turn their back on you at the opportunity to get ahead.

Keith Thompson's reputation precedes him as the well known elder of the Thompson brothers duo. Real Estate tycoon turned property management powerhouse with his brother after his messy divorce from his ex-wife, southern belle, Savannah —who also happens to be in property management.

Where his younger brother, Kyle handles the development side of things with his architectural and construction background, Keith is the financier—the numbers man and knows people. Well, he knows what motivates most. Money.

And there's something about him I don't like.

"Our manager, Cynthia Green, is a real team player." He winks at me. "She'll handle most of the office paperwork and construction concerns. We want you to focus on marketing, and leasing." Keith squeezes my shoulder as we walk out of his office concluding the meeting. "Who knows you might end up making a permanent residence with us."

"No one's able to convince me to stay yet."

"Never say never."

Idiot.

We stop near the front desk, with the company's logo–and the brother's surname—in black bold letters above on the wall. "Thanks for the briefing. It should be an easy sell considering the location and from what I've seen on the way here, not much competition except for the building across the street...an Emerald Property, am I correct?"

The slight twitch in his left eye at the mention of his ex-wife's company, is an obvious tell. "I heard their offices are in the same building as well. You hear how small the industry is, but this is the first I've heard of two management teams in one building. Do you ever run into anyone—"

"It's a big building, and there's hardly any interaction with the competitors nor do we entertain any of the gossip drivel that tends to circulate in this field," he says, with a sternness to his voice.

I nod. "Good, good. Well, I'll be sure to keep you updated on the weekly progress. I'll be seeing you." Turning away, I smile at the receptionist. "I appreciate your help earlier, Lindsey." Her eyes widen, surprised I remembered her name I'm sure. Her face grows pink as she smiles and waves at me.

Having a photogenic memory and being good with names in general is a huge advantage with as many people you meet working in this industry, from potential residents, vendors, and of course the staff you work with.

I step into the elevator and lean back as it makes its descent. The ride-up earlier replays in my mind when a familiar scent infiltrated my senses. It was subtle, at first, but it immediately made me think of the woman I met over the weekend. For a moment, I even thought she was the woman who rushed out of the elevator like it was on fire, bumping into me.

My fingers roll the coin in my pocket, recalling the conversation outside the restaurant which led to an unforgettable night. She held her liquor pretty well, at first, anyway.

My head knocks against the wall behind me, still not believing I not only didn't get her name, but she left while I slept. That's never happened before. Usually, I'm the one trying to make a run for it before they wake up or give one of my go to reasons for my quick departure.

I chuckle remembering when I discovered a pair of my sweats and a T-shirt were missing, but ironically she left her bra and panties behind. A grin spreads on my face, the woman was full of surprises all night.