15. Secrets Revealed

GABRIEL

Slamming the crash bar of the door on the nearest exit I find in the hallway, I let out a loud groan once I'm outside. Running my hands through my hair I breathe in and out trying to calm down.

What the hell am I doing here? What was I thinking, getting involved with her?

Fucking idiot.

You avoid relationships because of the fucking drama it brings. And now look at you, completely in over your head in love with a woman who literally thinks you're a tool.

Oh, God.

Love.

Leaning over the railing, I sigh, looking over the New York City, night skyline. The cool breeze skims over my hot skin, calming me. I've always loved the city and while it's been rare, I look forward to my assignments bringing me here; back home.

For the longest time, I've thrived living with nothing permanent in mind. Traveling from city to city. Carefree and loving the spontaneity of life in general. Not being tied down to anything or anyone.

And then I met Vanessa.

Thoughts and ideas of staying have been running rampant in my mind after spending time with her. How would it work? Could it work? The possibility of building a future with someone has never crossed my mind until her.

Love. It scares the shit out of me, but I know it's true. I've fallen for her. But knowing her commitment issues, I realize I have to time it right when I tell her. For now, I can reiterate and make it as clear as possible that I like her and want to spend time with only her. I head back into the banquet hall, determined to find her.

Not giving a damn at the curious looks and glances sent my way, I weave around the tables, specifically avoiding the women who are blocking the paths, standing under the ridiculous amounts of mistletoe hanging throughout the room.

I come to Vanessa's team table, not surprised when Jenny stands, nostrils flaring, an accusing finger pointing at me.

"You've got a set of damn balls, Gabriel Tate!"

"Where's Vanessa?" I scan the room, wondering if I passed her on my way here.

"Like you really give a damn." Jenny's lips scrunch in an angry pout.

Lily clears her throat. "She stepped out into the hall to get some air, Mr. Tate. She said she'd come say bye before leaving."

"Lily!" Jenny hisses, with wide eyes and raised eyebrows. I thank Lily and march to the hallway, knowing Jenny is following.

"We all saw you, you know? Sucking face with that leggy, pretty redhead. I knew Vanessa was going to get hurt getting mixed up with you—"

I stop, turning to grab her face, planting a kiss on her.

"There, I just kissed you the way I kissed an old friend, did you feel anything sexual behind the kiss?" Her wide eyes blink back at me, her mouth is still shaped in a pucker. Meanwhile, the man she was sitting next to is being restrained by Lily and Evan; must be her husband.

"I didn't think so. I explained my history with the woman you saw me kiss to Vanessa. Vanessa's been the one keeping me at arm's length, wanting to keep things casual, but it's too late for that."

Jenny blinks a couple more times and then straightens her posture. Her eyes narrow with suspicion. "Does she know that?"

"I think my actions have been pretty damn clear. I'm fucking giving myself self-allergy shots to be around her because of her menace of a cat, for Christ's sake! And before you decided to go on your witch hunt, I was determined to find her and tell her what she means to me, but as her best friend you know, she's scared to commit. So for now, I just want to make sure she understands I only want her. If she still wants nothing to do with me then so be it, but at least I tried."