14. Dinner and a Show

Song for the chapter: Baby I'm Jealous ~ Bebe Rexha ft. Doja Cat

VANESSA

Who does he think he is?

It's been hours since Gabriel dropped me off, and he has yet to respond to my texts or calls. As if I did something wrong? He seems to forget it was he who sprung an impromptu meet and greet with his family.

While I had a good time, the fact that he gave me no warning prior was a douche move. Granted, he probably knew I would have flat out refused to go.

Still, he has the nerve to ignore me?

Shaking off the frustrating thoughts from my mind, I step out of my car, and hand my keys to the valet driver. There is a red carpet laid out, leading to the entrance of the hotel where the award ceremony is being held tonight.

This year's theme is A Summers' Christmas. Not the most original idea, but as a fan of Christmas I was curious how this would all unfold. Different color poinsettias line the walls near the doors and there are lights twinkling in the ceiling and on garland decorations spread throughout the lobby.

Well-known Christmas songs resonate through the speakers and waiters are milling around serving spiced eggnog to guests on their trays. I spot Lily, Evan, Jenny and Jason near the opening to the banquet hall and make a beeline for them.

The girls squeal when they see me and gush over my red satin sleeveless dress. I complement Lily on her gold gown and Jenny on her classic black, halter dress. There's a tapping on a microphone and the emcee announces the awards will be getting started and asks for everyone to find their assigned tables.

We find Jake and Gary already sitting at our assigned table. Not long after we sit, the hotel staff begins serving each table their soups and salads. My eyes roam around the room, but I don't see Gabriel. Maybe he decided not to come after all.

"Gabriel is sitting with Keith and Kyle near the front of the room." Jenny leans over to whisper, but I shrug, taking a drink of my wine.

"I don't care."

"Then who are you looking for?" Jenny raises her beautiful sculpted eyebrow.

"No one."

"Uh-oh, what happened?" She presses, but I shake my head, wanting her to drop the issue. Luckily, the Emcee grabs everyone's attention and turns the time over to the New York Apartment Association President.

Taking a peek over my shoulder, I find Gabriel exactly where Jenny said he was; he's conversing with Kyle and Keith like they're old friends.

After the Association President concludes his remarks and latest statistics report, they begin announcing the different categories and winners for this year.

Arbor Pointe wins the best leasing award to Gabriel and Best Large Community. We win the Best Clubhouse and Best Onsite Team awards and I do my best to ignore the stares coming from the table where Gabriel is sitting with the Thompson brothers.

When they announce the names for the best manager of properties over two hundred, I nearly choke when my name is announced as the winner. Our group erupts in loud cheers and whistles and fists pounding the table.

As I pose for my picture with the president of the association, my eyes drift to Gabriel and I find him staring back at me, but then he looks away. Cold panic washes over me and my pulse races all of a sudden, but I don't want to admit that his disinterest has any affect on me.

Once the ceremony portion concludes, the emcee announces the dance floor will be opening up. He reminds everyone to drink responsibly and then also points out the different photo op stations in the large room.