02.

02 - the switch

When the lunch bell rings, I walk Bella to our next class, Biology with Mr

When the lunch bell rings, I walk Bella to our next class, Biology with Mr. Molina. As we walk I continue to ask her about life pre-Forks and she gives me small, limited answers. And while I don't want to be shallow, I remind myself of what I'd told Jessica.

"Okay, Ms. Swan, you're sitting with Ms. Weber." Mr. Molina points her to Angela, my biology partner. I snap my head and look at him in horror.

"But Angela's my partner!" I remark.  She has been since the beginning of Junior year, there's no need for him the change things.

"Not anymore. Ms. Swan's transcript shows that she has better grades than you do, and you could use Mr. Cullen's help." His statement is like a slap across the face, I know I'm not the best in biology, but I'm not failing it. And I'm definitely not bad enough to deserve Edward Cullen.

Grinding my teeth together, I walk down the aisle and take the stool next to Edward, whipping a glare in towards Bella.

"Sorry." She mouths as Mr. Molina begins the class. Edward pretends I don't exist except for the curled-up hand covering his nose. Surely he's not insinuating that I stink, I showered after gym. Still, I reach for my shirt collar and sniff to make sure I wasn't the problem. After checking, it was clear that I wasn't the problem, the Cullen kid must just be a douche.

"Today we're looking at flatworms!" Mr. Molina exclaims as I pick out my Biology textbook and binder, trying to hide my annoyance. He passes out glass containers with the worms and I sniff in disgust as Edward shoves one of them toward me, our faces matching in distaste.

"Thanks," I mutter, knowing full well I didn't study the material for this class.

"You marked it wrong." I hear from my side as I fill in the sheet. Whipping my head I see Edward looking down at my work, his own already finished.

"What do you mean?" I hate to admit that Mr. Molina was right about me needing Edward's help. I didn't want his help, but I hated this class and struggled to understand the biology of worms.

"I mean it's wrong, it should be A." He whispers, not that anyone is paying attention to our conversation.

Holding everything in me not to make a sour face, I erase my original answer and change it.  "Thanks."

He doesn't help me with any of the other questions, part of me feels like he's pulling my leg. Especially since the second the bell rings, he snatches his backpack up and storms out of the room.

"What's his problem?" I say to myself, throwing my backpack over my shoulder, waiting to take Bella to her next class.

"I'm really sorry about the Biology partners. We can switch." Bella offers as I take her to Gym class.

"It's fine, Bella. And Mr. Banner wouldn't let us switch, his word is the law." I roll my eyes as we stop in front of the girl's locker room. "Enjoy the rest of your day."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

I still find myself feeling salty when I stalk into the library at the end of the school day. Jay is waiting for me outside in the parking lot, but I needed to pick up a copy of Fahrenheit 451 for my English assignment.

"Looking for this?" Someone speaks from behind me as I scan the shelf where the book should be. Turning, I spot Alice Cullen holding out the book I was in fact looking for.

"Um, yeah it is." She plops the book in my hand, suspiciously smiling from ear to ear.

"Don't worry about my brother, he can be a bit of a prune at times but he is a nice person." I'm surprised she already knew about the events of Biology, I didn't realize I made such an impression on him.

"It's whatever." I shrug, trying not to grow saltier at Edward Cullen. "Honestly I wouldn't want to be partners with myself in Biology, I'm essentially hopeless."

"I'll tell Edward to help you then, we can't have you failing and not getting into WSU." I look at her confused, unsure of how she knew that WSU was where I wanted to study. Unlike Teresa, I didn't openly talk about my college plans, especially since all my family wanted me to attend UW as they did.

"No, you don't have to do that," I tell her, pulling out my student library card and handing the book to the librarian.

"Don't worry about it, Heather. I have everything under control." She winks at me before slipping out of the library, leaving me in utter confusion. I know Teresa and Jay insist that she's a psychic, but I don't believe in that shit. She's probably a very nosy person.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"What took you so long?" Jay complains as I unlock my car.

"Alice Cullen was talking to me, kept me busy," I explain, getting into the driver's seat and throwing my backpack to the back.

"What did she want?" She asks me, her face perplexed.

"Mr. Banner switched my Biology partner. I'm now stuck with Edward Cullen." I complain, turning the engine on and letting my Bronco roar to life.

"Shut up, no he didn't!" She stares at me, mouth agape. "It's true love."

"Oh my god, Jay! Ew! He was a total dick, and Mr. Banner said that we were switching because I'm an idiot in Biology but Bella Swan isn't." I scoff, but she just shrugs, flipping through my cassette collection since my car didn't have a CD player.

"But what does that have to do with Alice?" She picks out, no surprise, her favorite one, Tidal by Fiona Apple.

"She was apologizing for his abhorrent behavior. And get this, she also knew I wanted to go WSU." I explain to her.

"But no one knows that besides Tess and me, right?" She asks, mirroring my previous emotions. "Right?"

"Right."

"She's totally a psychic, how else would she know that? I'mma have to tell Tess." Jay sits back in her seat, kicking her feet up on my dash while Fiona Apple sings to us.

"Or she's nosy as hell," I complain.

"I prefer psychic."