09

09 - the apology
Trigger Warning: Mentions of Sexual Assault

 "In other news, Orlando Calderas Wallace, suspected murderer, and rapist wanted in the states of Texas and Oklahoma, was apprehended-"  Jay smacks off the radio, her skin still translucent looking

Jay smacks off the radio, her skin still translucent looking. If she isn't looking better soon I plan on forcing her to the school counselor's office and if she refuses, I'll have my mom give Ms. Deidra the phone number of the psychiatrist Dr. Cullen had given us after the car accident.

"Jay-"

"I'm fine." She lies through her teeth, face turned from me to the window. Her eyes were red, purple staining her cheeks, neither of us had slept well. The joy from my dress faded when I called Edward to thank him for saving Jay and Bella. It was a grim conversation, I had almost cried talking to him about it, he just listened and told me not to worry. He assured me, promised me that he was going to take care of it, how, I didn't know.

Edward, however, has a lot of promises to keep. My knuckles turn white just thinking about the conversation he'd promised, answers to his weird behavior, answers as to why his sister knew my future, and answers about Sam Uley's warnings. Answers, that truthfully, I probably didn't want.

I park next to Teresa, her face twisted from overthinking. "Hey."

"Hey." She mutters, Jay stalks off not even giving her a greeting. "She's still doing bad?"

"Yeah, I'm gonna need your help to convince her to see Mrs. Riley," I admit, watching as Jay opens the door and disappears into the school. "I called Edward last night, I gave him my thanks."

"God, I hate owing anyone anything. But I ought to thank him too." She bites into her cheek, kicking a stray stone across the concrete.

"Have you seen Bella?" Jessica Stanley's car is here in the parking lot, and she was still standing around it with Mike Newton, but I didn't see the Swan girl.

"She hurried in already." Teresa sighs as we start to walk towards the building.

"I'll see you in Government, I need to speak with someone," I tell her right in front of the door, in my peripheral, I can see Edward exiting his Volvo.

Teresa looks out to the parking lot and nods without a word, leaving me in the morning mist. She'll ask questions later.

"Good morning," I say as he joins me on the stairs.

"Did you listen to the news this morning?" He asks, continuing to walk.

"Yes, was that him? That Orlando dude?" I pick up my pace to keep up with him, slowing down as he stops at his locker. I'd never seen the inside of it, never wanted to, but it's clean and tidy like you'd expect.

"Yes."

"But how? I didn't hear all of it, Jay turned the radio off before they finished." I ask as he walks me to my own locker, which is the polar opposite of his.