10.

10 - the lookout

Waiting on my front steps, I absentmindedly pet Mina's black fur, picking out the pieces of grass and leaf she's managed to get caught in her coat

"Filthy cat," I tell her, scratching her sweet spot. Just below her chin. Even without seeing it, I can hear the rumble of the silver Volvo. The loud sound of a purring engine causes Mina's fur to stand up straight as the car screeches to a halt in front of my mailbox.

"Hey," I grin as Edward rolls down the window.

"You're not bringing the cat, are you?" She hisses sr him as I wrap her in my arms. "I don't think she likes me."

"That means you're a bad omen." I joke, opening the front door and dropping her inside. There's no bother in me locking the front door, nothing bad happens in Forks. Inside on the fridge door, I'd left a note for Mom in case if, worst case scenario, I suddenly disappear. And in English I had told Teresa, who practically fell out of her chair in shock and been scolded by Mr. Mason for disturbing the class.

Edward laughs darkly at my statement, smirking as I slide into the passenger seat of his clean car.

"Where do we start?" I ask as he pulls away from my house, it quickly disappearing in the rear-view mirror as we speed away.

"You're going to have to tell me, you're asking the questions." I'm grateful that he's deciding to be patient with me today, especially since I have rather ridiculous questions awaiting him.

"The bombshell I guess," I humorlessly chuckle. "Why don't you go to La Push? The guys at the Rez told me that you didn't go there. When I asked why, they wouldn't give a clear answer just that you're dangerous."

"And yet, here you are in my car. With a possibly dangerous man." Yes, I know. I'm ignoring the sirens that were going off in my head. A girl with less curiosity wouldn't be seeking out the truth, but I'm being stupid for curiosity's sake. 

"I've not decided. I want your answer, at first I thought it was because your family was racist. Sam Uley said that wasn't the case, but like I said, wouldn't tell me the reason." I huff, settling into the passenger seat.

"What do you think then?" He asks.

"Aren't I supposed to be asking the questions?" I retort, using his own words against him. I don't want to play mind games, I came for answers not riddles.

"Yes. But I'm going to need a little more, so I know how to answer." He states, taking his gaze away from the road to look at me. Somehow, I feel more nervous about his driving than the truth.

"Okay, well, why does everyone in your family lookalike? You're supposed to be foster siblings and yet, you're all corpse white and have those strange topaz eyes. Is it a disease you all have? Or does Dr. Cullen only adopted kids who look like him?" I begin to list off the oddities I've noticed, hoping to piece everything together. "And then your sister, how does she seem to know when something is going to happen before it happens? And knows my secretive stuff? Is she actually physic?"