23.

23 - the occasion

 "You need to hurry up, we're going to be so late!" I explain as Jay does the finishing touches to my hair

"You need to hurry up, we're going to be so late!" I explain as Jay does the finishing touches to my hair. Teresa is on my creaky bed, finishing her makeup with a compact mirror, laughing at Jay and me per usual. She'd managed to get out of arriving early by spending the entire morning setting up and decorating.

"Okay, well it's hard to cover up your bald spots from where you got stitches." She objects. "Okay, there! Done!"

I move over to the mirror and examine my hair, she had done a great job covering up the patches. They and the scar on my neck are the only things left, reminding me of James' attack. Carlisle had told me the mark on my neck would never disappear, it would always stay there coldly.

"Girls! If we're going to take pictures you need to hurry up!" Mom calls from downstairs, Edward is already down there waiting with her. Tonight we were taking his father's Mercedes instead of the Volvo.

"Coming!" Jay yells as I quickly throw on my kitten heels, and grab my dress's matching shawl, throwing it on before following Jay down.

"Look at y'all! My gorgeous girls!" Mom beams, with Edward smiling awkwardly, nodding in agreement. Tonight, he'd be the fourth wheel, that was my agreement to let him get me a corsage and wear a matching tie. Although Jay insists on calling him our glorified chauffeur.

"Line up, we gotta be quick. I don't want y'all to be late." Mom rushes us out the door to take pictures with a camera she's borrowing from the grandparents. These pictures will end up in the family photo album from the year.

"Okay, now I want one of Edward and Heather." She says after several quick snapshots of us girls. "Get over there, Edward."

"Don't be so awkward, you're in love!" Jay yells from behind Mom as we pose.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Pop music was banging loudly as Edward parks next to Rosalie's M3. His siblings weren't in the car, but they were waiting for us in front of the venue. We climb out of the car and Edward escorts us three girls to them, a joke about him being a ladies' man is made when we all greet each other.

"See, I knew you'd look good in the dress. Rosalie was doubting me." Alice pridefully announces after hugging me.

"Wait, this was you?" I should've known, who else would've pulled something off like this?

"Surprise! Think of it as a very late Christmas gift." She gives her stupid little jazz hands as we make our way inside.

"It's April."

"Very, very late." Alice grins.

Most of the night I spend dancing with Jay and Teresa as I had promised. Even during one of the slow dances, I opted out of dancing with Edward to absurdly waltz with Jay, per her request. He understands and doesn't bother me about it, always staying close to me or his siblings.

"I need some fresh air, come with me?" I eventually escape the dance floor, my feet throbbing even with my heels long gone.

"You want your shoes?" Edward asks as we slip through the crowd to the courtyard.

"Keep 'em. Not like, forever, but for now." I awkwardly correct myself. "Are you enjoying yourself? I know you've been to lots of proms before, but is this one better?"

"Much better. I have a date for once, even if I can't call you that." He airily laughs. "Dance with me, will you?"

I agree, considering his words as the inside music spills out into the night. A slow song leads us along as we easily step.

"You've never had a date before?" I know I'm his first girlfriend, but surely Prince Charming had taken another girl to a dance. "You never went to sock-hops with a girl or something?"

"No, I uh, never wanted to be particularly close to humans. But, you've made that change." He admits as I lean into his shoulder, taking in the clear night sky, dazzling with stars and a crescent moon. "Do you remember what you said, back in the hospital?"

"I said a lot, refresh my mind."

"About giving me a chance to be alive?" 

"Yes." I nod, remembering the heated argument that ended in a promise.

"You're doing a fantastic job. In my 87 years of vampire existence, the time I've spent with you has reminded me the most of what it felt like to be human. You truly make me feel alive." He says, spinning me with ease and bringing me back in.

"That's not a compliment you receive every day, but I'm glad." I smile, kissing him softly.

"Are you aware that you're the most beautiful thing I've ever seen? I'm pretty sure the stars in the sky envy your beauty." He states after kissing me back.

  "I'm going to pretend that's true, my poet."

The End
for now...